It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm

How do you store your TVs?

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

How do you store your TVs?

Post by AidanLunn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 am

A recent acquisition of three Thorn 1500 sets has prompted me to seriously re-arrange the sets I have in a storage facility. As I only had a few sets in there to begin with and then added more over time, the sets became a higgledy-piggledy mess, with some balancing quite precariously against others and it was not a very efficient use of the space available to me anyway.

So I decided to rearrange them quite neatly. In fact, I was so proud of my rearranging that I thought I'd take a few photos of this half (yes, only half!) of my collection and share it with you whilst starting a discussion on TV set storage.

If anyone is questioning my logic behind arranging the sets, I decided it would be most practical to have the heavier sets (with stronger cabinets) at the bottom progressing upwards to the lighter sets (some with more fragile cabinets) at the top.

If anyone is wondering what make/chassis a particular set is, feel free to ask.
Attachments
storage3.jpg
Storage1.jpg
storage2.jpg
storage4.jpg
storage5.jpg

Re: How do you store your TVs?

Post by AidanLunn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10 am

More pics
Attachments
storage6.jpg
storage7.jpg
storage8.jpg
storage9.jpg

Post by Lloyd » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:00 am

You got some nice telly's there Aidan! Certainly better stacked than the ones in my storage unit. Soon I hope to bring all my sets and spares to a new workshop and stop paying way too much for storage, might have to let a few things go to new homes, or the tip! I'm currently waiting for delivery of a load of wood for my new workshop. I'll post a picture of my storage unit when I get back to my laptop :bba

Regards,
Lloyd

Post by neil29 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:21 pm

You don't have as many as I do Aidan :thumb and you wouldn't want to either as I cant reach most of them unless I move at least half a dozen sets at a time :ccf . and at least yours are out of sight in a storage facility mine are in the house and in several sheds and every time I open a door it scares the hell out of me :aaj .

Cheers
Neil.

Post by Hartley118 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 pm

An impressive collection Aidan, but how readily can you get a set out of storage and run it from time to time?

Or are they strictly static exhibits?

I raise this because actually using our collected sets can be an issue for some of us. I confess that, with one or two exceptions, I've so far managed to resist the TV-collecting bug because my sheds are already full. My own collection is mainly restricted to radios, record players and audio where I do stand some chance of switching on most working items at least every year or so!

Martin

Post by Derren » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Have often wondered not only how collectors store their sets but what do they actually DO with them :) I think I am perhaps unusual that I actually watch mine! I have them on a rota of about 10 days at a time and usually watch a B & W film or vintage TV prog every day last thing at night, I only have about a dozen however but some are large floorstanders. I really couldn't imagine that I would buy more sets than I could store in my own house.

Return to Television