It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am

Television wish-list.

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

Television wish-list.

Post by PYE625 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:58 pm

Hello all,

It would be interesting to see people's most desired television set.
This is a kind of "wish-list" if you like.

Top of my list is a GEC "Electra" 2002 DS-T 23.
It was my parent's first TV set and was given to them in 1965 as a wedding present from my Grandad.
The nearest I have ever got to one since is the below GEC brochure.
Attachments
rsz_img_2283.jpg
rsz_img_2282.jpg

Re: Television wish-list.

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:21 pm

My list is, in no particular order:

• RGD model 519, 19" 110 tube - both my great-Aunts had one;
  • Pye V530, 17/19" set with FM radio - belonged to our neighbour and became our second set;
  • KB VV20 Vanguard - this was my parents' first TV.

If I was really, really fussy, a KB KV125 (I already have a cracking one thanks to The_Teleman) but with the later chassis where (a) the mains lead has harmonised colours and a blue sheath, (b) the system switch reads 625-405 and (c) the grille says ITT-KB on the front.

Most wanted? Probably the RGD actually. Fond memories of watching it with my great-Aunt Ciss :)

Post by PYE625 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 am

Just spotted a lovely 2002 DST over on UKVRR belonging to MickMcmichael......it looks great and with some wonderful pictures of the set, I have gone completely green with envy !!

Here is a link to this rare set....
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show ... hp?t=78959

Post by Duke Nukem » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Cricky, I don't think Chris's forum's database could handle the size of my wishlist :) So it's very much a case of if something comes in then something else has to leave, which whittles the list down considerably to (roughly in order - but order changes !) :
  • Any/All Mullard TV (except MTS683)
  • Any/All Etronic TV (except HV203, ECV1523, ECS2231)
  • Any one of Denco TV
  • Post-War mirror lid - Ekco or Decca, either, I don't care.
  • Pye V210/220
TTFN,
Jon

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi all,

For me I would love something, anything pre-war but that's highly unlikely with my budget allowance so with Mr sensible head on one of the sets at the top of my hit list would be a Pye V210.....Oops ! Looks like me and John are on a collision course :qq1

Marc.

Post by CTV » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Four Telly's on my list

The first is a CTV set from my childhood, I don't know the model but it has been suggested its a D|E|R Thorn 3000. As seen in a family photo snippet below. Have I ever seen one? No.

christv.jpg

The second set is a Murphy Acoustic Deluxe, I've been after one of these for some time. It would look great with My Aphelion and SABA as Iconic 70's sets.

The third is a missing set from my early colour dual standard hybrid collection, namely a GEC 2028. Equally they just never turn up.

Finally another from my childhood and the first colour we had, equally hens teeth, a Decca CS1830 and yep you guessed it, they never turn up.

So my four wish list sets will remain just that, wish lists.

Post by 405 fan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi everyone
The set would dearly love to complete my 70's Philips collection is a G9 . They weren't made in great numbers like the G8 plus they were poor for reliability so many must have been scrapped.
Maybe one day one will turn up .
Regards.
Gary.

Post by Duke Nukem » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:21 pm

marc wrote:(PyeV210)....Oops ! Looks like me and John are on a collision course :qq1

And may the best man win. Oh, wait a minute, that'd be me :bba Seriously tho', as I dislike travel it'd probably need to turn up right on my doorstep, so you have a better chance.

I'm likely to clash with Chris - Murphy Acoustic Deluxe, I think they did B&W version, but I'd also consider a ... [Sits down, takes deep breath] c-c-c-olor one :) It may be outside my top 5, but its certainly in the top 5%.

TTFN,
Jon

Post by Colourstar » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:40 pm

What a great thread! Wouldn't it be nice if it turned out that one of us on here had a set that a fellow member was after and was able to help them out.

Sadly I'm unable to assist Andrew with his GEC Electra, although I briefly owned by 19" and 23" variants in the 1990s. Sadly long gone and I can't even remember who I passed them on to.

Likewise I had a 19" GEC 2028 as sought by Chris, but that went to my pal Mikey's colour collection more than ten years ago. I also had a blue 22" Murphy Acoustic Deluxe colour.

I'm lucky in that I've gradually re-acquired several sets that I owned and parted with as a youngster. And none of them are that common either, so no one is more surprised than me!

As to my wish list, well I've never in all my years of collecting found an example of a Decca dual standard b&w (DR1 series etc). I don't know why they are so rare. Also sending me weak at the knees are Baird and Defiant dual standard monos, GEC series 1 'Finelines' and back to Decca again for the MS2020 single standard 625 hybrid (the one with the much-smaller-than-expected pcb!)

Steve

Post by Niall » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:Murphy Acoustic Deluxe, I think they did B&W version

They did, I had one in white, this was the set mentioned in another thread with the pot bodged in place of the push button unit.

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:12 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:And may the best man win. Oh, wait a minute, that'd be me :bba

TTFN,
Jon

That can't be right Jon cos I'm a Yorkshireman ! :aa :aaj
Mind you there does seem to be more interesting telly's turn up in your neck of the woods so I bet you get your hands on your quests before me. :aaq

Marc.

Post by Katie Bush » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 pm

With reference to Chris' post, above,

Nah, that Murphy can't have been all that good.....

Just take a look at the photo - only two people, out of all that lot, watching it - not one of Murphy's best advertising strategies.... :aak

Then OMG!!!! I might actually have that little Decca! - I definitely have a small Decca that looks very like it, and it was one of my aunts who owned it.. It has a lot of sentimental value to me, and it does actually work, after a fashion, but needs some work - not a lot - to bring it back to spec. It's worst problem is the deeply etched glass around the EHT cavity where there has been long term EHT leakage that has burnt "lightning strikes" into the flare of the CRT.. Unfortunately for the TV, it has been used in a damp environment (cold bedroom) for a good many years.

Chris, if it comes to it, I'll leave it to you in my will.. That way I'll know it's gone to a good home - but you may have to wait a while to get it. :bba

Marion

Post by PYE625 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Katie Bush wrote:With reference to Chris' post, above,

Nah, that Murphy can't have been all that good.....

Just take a look at the photo - only two people, out of all that lot, watching it - not one of Murphy's best advertising strategies.... :aak

Marion

They are probably all talking about Soda Stream and Fondue sets :bba

Post by Duke Nukem » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:33 am

marc wrote:
Duke Nukem wrote:And may the best man win. Oh, wait a minute, that'd be me :bba

That can't be right Jon cos I'm a Yorkshireman ! :aa :aaj

Nah .. now, maybe if you were a Lancashire lad ... :)

marc wrote:Mind you there does seem to be more interesting telly's turn up in your neck of the woods so I bet you get your hands on your quests before me..

Odd that; I keep thinking how come interesting stuff seldom turns up round here, it's usually up north or the wrong side of London.

neill wrote:(Murphy Acoustic Thingy, B&W) They did, I had one in white, this was the set mentioned in another thread with the pot bodged in place of the push button unit.

Thought I'd seen one somewhere. No idea if the circuitry is any good or not, I just like the appearance so if one did turn up it'd need to be in pretty good nick cosmetically.

TTFN,
Jon

Post by marc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 am

Nah .. now, maybe if you were a Lancashire lad ... :)

Na then Jon me lad, that could be construed as fighting talk where I come from tha knows ! I might have to set Marion on to ya :aaj

Odd that; I keep thinking how come interesting stuff seldom turns up round here, it's usually up north or the wrong side of London.

I bet the wrong side of London think we have the best stuff too....it's funny how perception probably plays tricks on us all. :aaq

Marc.

Post by ntscuser » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 am

Possibly unusual but I don't have a Wish List.

1) I'm happy with what I've already got and some day I might even get around to actually fixing some of it. dmm

2) In the past it's backfired on me and what I thought I wanted has instead turned into an endless "project". :ccb

Post by freya » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 pm

My biggest wish tv is the Ekco TS46, any condition

Post by Derren » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Rather than drooling over something I might never find I thought I'd add a more positive slant :) The TV I always wanted I eventually found! It's the Decca Dual Unit, which apparently cost 350.00 in 1952! The electronics cabinet is not shown here but is very similar to the Decca 1000. In this case it is connected via a thick floor cable which feeds the mains and signal from the back of the screen cabinet which also contains speakers. I suppose you could call it a 50 inch if you measure diagonally. There's a plate on the rear of the cabinet which says "Decola" but I've not heard it called that before! Now restored and working too. Anyone else know of one?
Attachments
PICT0883.JPG

Post by Derren » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:55 pm

If it has to be a TV I don't yet have then how about a Murphy V136 or V116. Mind you any of those larger style early/mid 60s B & W sets with the metal magazine rack/stand underneath would be nice, a Murphy one sold recently on Ebay for over 200.

Post by The_Teleman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:51 am

What an interesting thread !
I must admit I seem to be fortunate to have acquired most sets on my wish list
Like PYE 31f , PYE v210, PYE vt4 & my Gec 2001
There are 2 sets I would really go for now is a PYE ct71 a 19 inch dual standard colour set & a PYE V09
but the chances of getting any one of those is near on impossible

Chris

Post by Cathovisor » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:15 am

The_Teleman wrote:There are 2 sets I would really go for now is a PYE ct71 a 19 inch dual standard colour set & a PYE V09
but the chances of getting any one of those is near on impossible

Never say 'never' - a few years ago only a matter of weeks separated my saying to a friend "I think I've missed the boat on a pre-war TV now; I can't justify the expense" and getting one that fitted the 'dream' category at an astonishingly low price... :aan

Post by raditechman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Crustytv wrote:The third is a missing set from my early colour dual standard hybrid collection, namely a GEC 2028. Equally they just never turn up.

I too have been looking for one of those GEC sets.
What upsets me now is that years ago had one in my garage and used it for bits.

I seem to recall they had a double sided print and were prone to print burn ups. I wonder if any survive. I used to like the red "colour" lamp which came on if a transmission was in colour.

John

Post by CTV » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 pm

raditechman wrote:I seem to recall they had a double sided print
John

They did indeed
raditechman wrote:I wonder if any survive.
John

Yes some, I know three members here who have one each in their collections, there are likely more with people who do not frequent forums. Trouble now is last one I saw on e-bay about 3 years ago sold for £650. Early colour dual standards are stating to attain silly money putting them beyond most, even some single standard early 70's sets are now starting to fetch £200-300+ and in some cases as with the recent cvc2, £500+

Post by Paul_RK » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 am

A GEC 2028 was the first colour set to enter our family home, after I bought it for something very like £1.50 at Swaffham auction in, I'd guess, about 1974. Never really tried to get it working, not least because my parents didn't get a colour license until four years later when I was off at university. The 2028 went to Lincoln with me when I started my first proper job, but I sold it on, somewhere around 1985, to a collector/enthusiast there for, again, something very like £1.50, so just possibly it's still around.

Paul

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 pm

What I'd really like for Christmas - will not impress anyone - would be a humble Bush TV75.. I grew up with ours, made in year I was born, and still working into my teens it became my bedroom set.. At work one day, my dad found the remains of another TV75 face down in the "Ash Wagon" at York Station and brought it home for use as spares - all it was missing was the lower part of the front Bakelite escutcheon (someone was desperate to pinch the speaker) which had been wrenched off the front of the cabinet.. That set never did work, but its IF chassis lived on for several years after mine lost its 'vision' output.

Our old "75" survived into the mid 80's, but was destroyed by my hooligan of a brother when he trashed my inherited shed full of granddad's tellies,parts and tools whilst I was at work one day.. I'd love to reacquire another one.

Next

Return to Television