It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Television wish-list.

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

Re: Television wish-list.

Post by Alastair E » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:10 pm

Huh....?

A CVC2 went for how much!??

Guess I'll never find a reasonably priced 22" Philips G6 then!

Post by Doz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 am

raditechman wrote:
Crustytv wrote:The third is a missing set from my early colour dual standard hybrid collection, namely a GEC 2028. Equally they just never turn up.

I too have been looking for one of those GEC sets.
What upsets me now is that years ago had one in my garage and used it for bits.

I seem to recall they had a double sided print and were prone to print burn ups. I wonder if any survive. I used to like the red "colour" lamp which came on if a transmission was in colour.

John

Mine's here : http://andydoz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/gec-2028.html

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:56 am

raditechman wrote: I used to like the red "colour" lamp which came on if a transmission was in colour.
???

Was this a colour set aimed at the colour blind?

Or was its performance so bad that there was no other way of knowing ...?

Post by CTV » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 am

Terrykc wrote:Was this a colour set aimed at the colour blind?

Or was its performance so bad that there was no other way of knowing ...?

Not sure if you're pulling our legs but I'll bite just the same :qq1 The chroma indicator as far as I can tell was nothing more than a gimmick, I have such a feature on my G25K502 ( see below).

The one on the G6 ( far more funky than the GEC red light) is an electro/mechanical jobby, in that behind the rectangular window is a little tube one half green, one half white. When the chroma is present the voltage makes the tube pivot to green when no chroma it pivots back. Another feature is the colour off button below :aab why theses features? Like you I thought what on earth is the use! I've no idea but I suppose if you've shed out a small fortune for colour then why not have an indicator and button to impress the neighbours to show your colour prowess :qq1

Perhaps there's a more technical reason that escapes me that those far wiser can provide and answer to.

cind.jpg

Post by Refugee » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:46 am

The off button might be useful in areas where the signal is poor on one channel and good on the others.
It can then be used to get rid of all that spotty reception. Such a control would have been useful in the early days of channel 5 in some areas.

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:15 am

I would think that the "colour off" button would be useful to force the set into displaying black and white transmissions in the bluish white people were used to on true black and white sets when the broadcasters forgot to turn the burst off.

Post by slidertogrid » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am

ISTR the first G6s had a relay on the tube base to tweak the greyscale when watching monochrome to make the picture slightly blue tinted to replicate a mono set?
In my experience the colour beacon on the GECs usually stopped working after a few years. Most of the ex rental sets I had didn't have a working lamp. To be honest I don't know if the rental firm had disabled it in some way or if it was a fault. apart from checking the bulb I never bothered going any further as I couldn't see the point of the light at the time anyway. By this time the sets were being used on 625 only.
I remember selling a 25" to a mate at schools parents for £80, the first colour set I sold. £80! Bloomin good money at the time!
I would also love one for my collection now..

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:43 pm

CrustyTV wrote: Not sure if you're pulling our legs ...
Moi? Pull your leg? :aaj Perish the thought! :)

CrustyTV wrote: Perhaps there's a more technical reason that escapes me that those far wiser can provide and answer to.
I would imagine that, if the burst was left on for a monochrome programme, lots of fine detail around the subcarrier frequency might look very 'pretty'!

Post by Doz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I'd love a GEC C2110. Nasty plastic cabinet and double-sided print. I'm a glutton for punishment, me!

Post by Focus 2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm

The G6 Colour Off push button is independent of the auto white relay on the CRT base. It gives a correct b&w picture, the auto white relay would still activate on a b&w transmission.

Many 2028 colour beacons didn't work or functioned dimly owing to the wrong value resistor from the bridge rectifier being fitted. Seems this didn't bother most people when the set was new. It's a useful fault finding feature as a b&w image owing to a CDA fault would still illuminate the beacon. It won't light up if the fault is in the decoder.

I once fitted a colour beacon to a single std GEC hybrid colour set!

Back to what this thread is about, I would like to see a GEC 2017 with VHF radio again and of course a Defiant 9A61U which started my TV fascination from an early age in the first place.

Brian

Post by ntscuser » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18 am

Alastair E wrote:Huh....?

A CVC2 went for how much!??

Guess I'll never find a reasonably priced 22" Philips G6 then!

I think it depends how you define "reasonably priced"?

If it's fully-restored and in perfect working condition like the CVC2 I think you can expect to pay a fairly hefty sum.

If however it's a complete wreck which needs dozens of hours of skilled labour and thousands of pounds worth of test equipment to restore to working condition you will still probably have to pay a fairly hefty sum! :bba

I wish you the best of luck with your search though. :aad

Previous

Return to Television