It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm

BBC1 "World" generator aka C.O.W

Re: BBC1 "World" generator aka C.O.W

Post by BVH2000 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 am

On a similar line, I don't suppose anyone knows how the "redcode" checksum was generated ? The checksum from my eprom reader and winhex don't tally with the redcode.

Jeffrey, are the bi-polar prom device types listed on the circuit diagram sheets for the roms below. this would just save me pulling the labels off to see if my programmers can read them.

Image1.jpg

and on a completely different note I see the manual is dated 06/11/84 spookily 30 years ago. The COW's TX 30th birthday will be 19:00 February 18th, 2015. The first outing of the COW is available at the youtube link below

http://youtu.be/fQYaddH0zC8

Regards Neil

Post by Tazman1966 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:50 pm

That's part of the fun! One wonders how much more reliable the old mechanical model would have been :qq1

Post by BVH2000 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Here's some colour pic's to enjoy (grabbed via dvd recorder)

1st the BBC World Service COW

BBC_WS_COW.jpg

The "ceefax" or regional ident blanking has a strange effect chopping off the bottom underscores of the BBC logo as well. I'm guessing this was never used in service as there would have been no need to remove the World Service branding. The size and position of the box that blanks the caption is adjustable with dip switches on the UN26/65 card

BBC_WS_COW_nocap.jpg

How this COW would have originally looked, or rather the output of my cut and paste re-creation rom set. Sadly the fact that the Norwich COW was re programmed probably means the original "EAST" ident roms are now "missing presumed wiped" :aaf

EAST_COW.jpg

Post by BVH2000 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 am

HAPPY 30th COWDAY ! :aan

The BBC C.O.W (Computer Originated World) aka O.W.L (Open World Logo) is 30 today. The Nations Idents (London, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland) made their appearance at 19:00 introducing the first edition of "Wogan"

Youtube Link http://youtu.be/fQYaddH0zC8

but I'm pretty sure the Regions had to wait another day to see their "local" COW before the regional news.

As a quick tribute below is a montage of screen grabs of all the original Nations and Regions COWs

1cowmontage.jpg

A *BIG* thank you to all who helped in the TI (COW manual) scanning project for the nice surprise of the excellent full PDF that I received recently.

Regards

Neil

Post by Lloyd » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:59 pm

It's 10 days older than me!!! :bba

I never knew that..

Regards,
Lloyd.

Post by BVH2000 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:10 pm

... and 19 years younger than me ! :aai

Neil

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Any advance on 40 years and (almost) two months - four days short! - younger than me ...?

Post by Refugee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:19 pm

26 years exactly.

Post by AidanLunn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:23 am

And here's the last closedown with the previous BBC1 globe (the mirror globe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_LvyItxloM

This wasn't the very last time it was seen, though. That was at 5:35pm on the 18th, introducing Grange Hill (no "CBBC" in those days, children's programmes just had the normal BBC1 presentation and announcer), although London viewers would see it just one more time before "London Plus" at 6:30pm*, the regions seeing their last glimpse of their mirror globes at the same time. The last look at that clock using the blue/green/white colour scheme was at 6pm introducing the BBC News.

*As an aside, it's often forgotten how poorly the BBC treated London as a region in its' own right during this period, frequently the only regional news would be the post-evening news one for London. When the others had regional news at lunchtime or after the 9pm news, BBC1 London would enjoy 5 minutes of testcard, Pages From Ceefax or a Tom and Jerry cartoon! I think the BBC management, who all lived in London, held a certain snobbery about regional news!

Yup, I'm a goldmine of useless information! :aa

Post by BVH2000 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:52 am

There is a discussion on TVforum about the introduction of the COW with clips of all the 1st evening appearances and the closedown

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/30th-birthday-cows-bbc-one-overhaul-40630/

Neil

Post by BVH2000 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 am

Happy 31st COWday! :aan

Another year on, work and the real "world" (pun intended) have put much tinkering with my cow on the back burner.
I did get as far as burning a set of eproms for the fixed store with a TC F image so the COW could also function as a testcard generator but the switchable regions roms are on hold for the moment.

I was also surprised to see quite a few posts have vanished from the thread making our earlier adventures in resurrecting cows seem a bit patchy and disjointed

Regards to all

Neil

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Quite off topic, I know, but over the last year I've been contemplating writing a children's novel entitled "Moo"..... Nothing to do with the BBC, but definitely involves a cow.

Hmm, I wonder if that could be incorporated? :aak

Probably not! :aao

Post by BVH2000 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:09 am

I'll have a glass of whatever you've been drinking :aak
But hang on, Willo the Wisp had Evil Edna who was a TV set and Rod Hull's emu took over the old mechanical Globe for Emu's broadcasting Company
ebc1.jpg

ebc2.jpg

So why not a forgotten GE6MS/565 left abandoned and un loved in a cow shed :aaj
The original name was Open World Logo - OWL - more possibilities ?...

And in a vain attempt to drag this back on topic, in Theory, once the RLE encoded map data is sorted out you could literally have a rotating cow image produced by the C.O.W

Blimey, seems I have been having some of what you've been drinking !

Regards
Neil

Post by marc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:17 am

BVH2000 wrote:Blimey, seems I have been having some of what you've been drinking !

Well rumour has it that our Marion does do a pretty mean Horlicks ! :cca :aaj

Marc.

Previous

Return to Black & White Television