It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Hallicrafters S-40

Hallicrafters S-40

Post by KeithW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

This is a Hallicrafters S-40 from 1946/47, made in Chicago, Illinois. I've had it stashed away for about ten years and thought it was time to let it see the light of day. A Hallicrafters S-19 'Sky Buddy' has recently arrived, so it now has a compatriot.

Once the Dynatron is finished I think I'll give this an overhaul. I need to find a wave-change knob as the original had gone AWOL when I bought it. I keep an eye out on the USA ebay, but nothing so far. Any suggestions as to where else to try please?

It's single conversion, with a frequency range of 0.54 to 43 MHz over 4 wavebands. The IF is 455 kHz. Designed by Raymond Loewy Associates. Amongst other things, Loewy designed the Coca-Cola bottle and the Greyhound bus, as well as the Shell and BP logos.

My interest in Hallicrafters receivers began when I used to be a volunteer at the Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, York. I was involved with the archives, displays and restoration of the control tower. The then president of the museum was Wing Commander Robert Sage (Ret). He had joined the RAF in the 1930's as a 'bright young thing'. He had some fascinating stories to tell, but the one that interested me the most was 'bending the beams'; countermeasures against the German Knickebein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beams. I can't remember exactly now, but I'm fairly certain that Robert was the pilot of the Avro Anson used to detect the beams using a Hallicrafters S-27. If he wasn't the pilot he was certainly deeply involved and he had an S-27 used in the beam detection. I think this receiver may have been given to the museum on his death.

I'd like to find an S-27 but I've yet to see another in the flesh.

Keith
IMG_2495 copy.jpg

IMG_2496 copy.jpg

S40A-1[1].jpg
Wave-change knob
S40A-1[1].jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Re: Hallicrafters S-40

Post by gm4cid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Keith,

You could join the Halicrafters Yahoo Group which is quite active and try a wanted post there, it might be worthwhile including your picture as there were several different versions of this rx.
The S40 was made in significant numbers so you will have a good chance of getting the wavechange know.

Good luck,

Bob GM4CID

Post by KeithW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that, I'll have a look for the Yahoo group.

A wave-change knob came up on ebay a month or so ago, but the US seller wouldn't post to the UK for some reason.

Keith

Post by Refugee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I like the way the band spread works with the extra single plates that mesh with the main gang.
I have seen the carrier generator from an ILS system at a repair shop i once worked for. It was retained by a private air field and was still in use in the 1980s having been installed during WW2. Yes i did get it working and calibrated for them. The cockpit displays sometimes had two pointers in addition to the audio on some modern small aircraft.

Post by Michael Watterson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Post by KeithW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes, looks very similar. I used to know the difference between a 40 and a 40A, but can't remember now ! I think the S40 only had a relatively short production run before they changed to the S40A.

I did read somewhere that some cabinets labelled as S40 actually contain a S40A, not sure about mine.

Keith

Post by Mrhoover » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi

I've got the S20 which is the forerunner to the S40,same bands and coverage,dating from around 1939.It had a relatively short production run,the S20R taking over,the local oscillator and mixer were combined into one valve and an extra IF stage was added in the S20R.

The radio works very well,considering its age,I restored it in 1980 and then recently did a thorough service,having been in storage for 25 years.

Hugh

Return to Radio & Audio