It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 am

MOD Solartron CT436

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

MOD Solartron CT436

Post by CTV » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Not strictly communications, but this is a military spec scope therefore military equipment.

Built in 1966 like a brick s*** house and In pristine condition, inside 25+ valves and a monster TX inside which looks like it came off the production line yesterday. I've found out Solartron designed it for a MoD contract ,introducing it in 1962 selling for around £200 which was a lot in those days. Hartley Electromotive was the second manufacturer to also make it, so you will find a few by them too.

5MHz ,EHT is around 1.75kV, it has two electron guns and is a true dual trace scope. Bit more manual jiggery-pokery required to get it to display a trace but when it does, its a good-un.

I have the complete user/service manual and schematics which cost more then the scope and turned out to be a photo copy. Yes you all know who they are too.

Here it is sniffing the murphy
a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Re: MOD Solartron CT436

Post by CTV » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:05 pm

cathode of the CRT

Post by johnkat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 am

Not as heavy as a Hartley 13A.

My fav was the solartron 1400 was it? with plugins. just recently tossed mine still regret it.

Post by johnkat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:54 am

Does it have a side access panel for the mains on the left side, as well as a rear one?
my first scope did, which this looks very like,
I was told it was so that when bolted in a truck, it was still accessable.

Post by turretslug » Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi folks,

I remember these things, sturdy enough to make an axle-stand for a bus and almost an object lesson in "How a scope works- block by block" with the discrete, fabricated delay lines, bootstrapped relaxation oscillator timebase and multiplicity of supply rails for DC coupling- no such thing as PNP valves! Also the use of an EF86 as EHT series regulator- I like things that are a bit "off the wall".

I hope I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here (and apologies if I am) but there is an innocuous-looking Paxolin panel inside (from front, bottom rear right-hand corner) that is fairly bristling with metal-cased components (caps, pots, valve retainer, etc.). Everything on this panel is elevated to EHT (1.75kV) with no warning or covers. I know this might not sound much compared to the macho PDA of later scopes, but it's mains derived and very exposed, therefore very dangerous. Perhaps a "flash" sticker on the rectangular PIO can would be a minimum precaution/reminder,

Regards, Colin..

Post by CTV » Tue May 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi Colin,

Well I was not aware of that so thanks for the warning. I've not really had it apart and I never really use it other than to power it on occasionally. I've no intention of doing anything to it and will probably move it on one day, although I've had it about 12 years now so it's not moving very quickly :=D

Chris

Post by XTC » Tue May 01, 2012 2:28 pm

The danger of a shock isn't just electrocution, it's also the reflex reaction which can throw you off balance and cause a fall from a ladder, or a fall onto something which will cause injury, or even just cause your hand to be thrown back and hit something.

Pete.

Post by johnkat » Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 am

Yes it was my first scope Hartley CT436, found this pic on line.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63773

can't remember how or when I got rid. But it was lovely, Oh well :\'(
johnk

Post by Brianc » Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 am

XTC wrote:The danger of a shock isn't just electrocution, it's also the reflex reaction which can throw you off balance and cause a fall from a ladder, or a fall onto something which will cause injury, or even just cause your hand to be thrown back and hit something.
Pete.

I totally agree with you Pete. My worst shock was 1.5kV mains derived EHT on my home made VCR97 TV when I was a kid. The set was switched off but the smoothing Cs (2 x 0.1mfd) hadn't discharged and I stuck my fingers in the wrong place and thump - the next thing I remember is finding myself sitting on the floor with a sore head - I had flung myself backwards and hit my head on the wall. I don't know how long I was out but I had lost consciousness! The other horribly thing was the nasty smell, a bit like burning pork, which was emanating from the tiny hole in the end of one of my fingers :omg: .

Post by turretslug » Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Whilst we're in a " '60's model gets the covers off" sort" of mood, here's another CT436 shot from the web. This one has a cover over much of the EHT panel- maybe a retrofit to cut down on "zapped techie" syndrome?

Colin.
CT436 RHS.jpg
CT436 RHS.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

Post by johntheboffin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:51 pm

I do like these old oscilloscopes. I have a Tektronix 545A - 75 valves, including the CRT, plus 15 more in the dual-trace plug-in. It is magnificent.

Sadly, it has recently developed a fault, so that's another one for the to-do list. I will do my best not to zap myself!

John

Post by Katie Bush » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 pm

All this worth knowing... :aad

I have a little Solartron scope that Till gave me.. I hadn't even stopped to consider how the EHT was derived. :aae

Re; the hole in the finger end - I got one from the rectified EHT in a big (21") EKCO b&w TV, way back in the seventies.. It drilled a very neat little round hole about 1.5mm deep and smelled like burning flesh.. It tasted even worse - Oh yes! I stuck it in my mouth and sucked on it to take the pain away. :aao

Marion

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment