It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 am

One for the military Radios fans

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

One for the military Radios fans

Post by CTV » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: One for the military Radios fans

Post by XTC » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am

I always like the looks of the 1155.

I've got a couple but they are codged. I've never been able to bring myself to part with the cash to get an uncodged one, or had the luck to drop on one for a reasonable price. The DF circuitry seems to have been stripped and thrown away, so unless you find one which is pretty much complete to start with, you're not going to get it back to original condition.

I live in hopes of finding a box of junk somewhere containing all the stripped bits from a couple of 1155s.

Pete.

Post by turretslug » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I've held off acquiring one- so far. In a way, it's fortunate that good 'uns get more and more rare and expensive... Amongst a breed (military radios) that have utilitarian (read "ugly") looks, it's perhaps one of the better lookers, that half-sector dial combines appearance and practicality in the way that Ekcos do. I know nothing about the things in detail but I'd heard that the DF circuitry was both innovative and effective, it seems a shame that there was such a widespread tendency to strip it out.

I like its US counterpart, the BC348, maybe one of the dourest looking radios ever, with front panel layout firmly in the "apply by blunderbuss" school of ergonomics but a revelation inside- beautifully and precisely constructed with a cast and machined alloy chassis. It strikes me as an excellent example of how the US were the masters of precision mass-production.

Colin.

Post by XTC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:41 pm

The BC348 wasn't built on the cheap. It must have cost several times an 1155 to make. They did things like have a separate oscillator valve in its own compartment and with capacitors with chosen tempcos well away from the heat of the valve. In some of them. the oscillator had a porcelain base. They had a neon stabilised supply for the LO.

They had a variable BFO adjusted by a cable link from the front panel. With the 1155 you have to poke a screwdriver through a hole to adjust the BFO. A design classic is that waxed mica capacitor in the BFO compartment which has usually lost most of its wax because of the heat from the valve.

The DF stuff was stripped because people bought 1155s as cheap comms receivers to use and to play with and the DF circuitry took up room which could be used for experiments and add ons, There were lots of articles which encouraged it.

Some of these sets, including BC348s, were turned into test beds for experiments. There's no practical way to restore them to anything like original state.

Pete.

Post by turretslug » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:04 pm

It seems that when Hermann Goering was shown over the wreckage of one of the first B17 bombers to be shot down over Europe, he is supposed to have muttered "If the Americans con afford to treat engineering of this quality as expendable, then we have lost the war".

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment