It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 am

Old two way radio

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

Old two way radio

Post by Refugee » Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 am

I have an old two way radio that was given to me by a mate many years ago and never asked where it came from.
At the time I did test it and got an output of about 87Mhz out of it and after that brief test listened to what was on the band and lost interest very quickly if I can remember rightly. It would have been some time in the 1980s.
I must have had a good look at it as the part numbers of the transistors have been written on top of the cover over the output stage.
What do I do with it?
Attachments
DSCF7822.JPG
DSCF7823.JPG
DSCF7826.JPG

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: Old two way radio

Post by Terrykc » Sat May 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I wonder if you can do anything with it at at all, even if you get it back to full working order.

Over the years, pressures on the RF spectrum for more and more users have resulted in channel widths being progressively reduced from 50kHz to 25kHz and 12.5kHz so, even if it was fully working, it might not be compatible with any transmissions you might receive with it and, even if you found a suitable working base station to match, would probably find it is no longer licensable ...
8))

Post by sideband » Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 pm

87Mhz suggests the old Taxi/minicab frequencies. I used to be able to receive some of these on a radio that tuned slightly out-of-band at the bottom end (very narrow tuning so probably AM or NBFM). As far as I am aware, everything has been shifted now and probably uses digital transmission anyway. Probably best for spares or an ornament......!

Post by Refugee » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 pm

All I can think of is to apply power and a speaker and listen to what if anything is there.
It does seam a shame to brake it up for spares as it is so well made with all those lovely coil cans.
There is almost certainly output transistors with byrillium oxide in them in the transmitter side.
I do not have the covers for the case but that would not matter if I was to clean the inside up and display it :thumbr:

Post by Katie Bush » Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 pm

It looks like a big brutish piece of kit, but our local council's gritting fleet used to operate at that end of the FM spctrum, just tantalisingly on the end of the public service broadcasting band.. If you had the 'right' radio set, you could listen in to their activity, and they covered a lot of the county.

Marion

Post by Refugee » Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Perhaps I could power it up and see if it really does get rubbish programs :=D
If I can locate a good impersonator I could do rubbish clearance at a cut price bhbg

Post by Michael Watterson » Sun May 26, 2013 8:28 pm

It maybe can have crystal changed for Amateur 70MHz use, There is AM, FM and SSB on 70MHz.

Post by Refugee » Mon May 27, 2013 1:42 am

There is no model number on it and there are only crystals in the channel 1 position.
Perhaps I might be able to find it a new home :thumbr:

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment