It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Panasonic cordless phones - battery problem?

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

Re: Panasonic cordless phones - battery problem?

Post by Refugee » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 pm

I have had the same here with Li-iron cells in a camera.
It may be some kind of film settling on the terminals.

Post by sideband » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 pm

More likely it was a complete reset of the electronics when the batteries were re-inserted.

Rich

Post by Refugee » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:41 am

I recycled the cells from an old laptop battery that had the electronics glued in. It was scrapped because the electronics could not be reset. They work very well.

Post by valvekits » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 am

What is the Panasonic model, I have the old KX-A141ES which did something very similar. I replaced the batteries to no avail and then I discovered some crud on one of the base station terminals. :ccb

Eddie

Post by valvekits » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Yes that's a little less vintage than mine but not by much.
I did a thread a few years ago on "the other side" about charging/battery problems with a sonic electric toothbrush. Long story short; it seemed to have got a hiccup during a charge cycle and actually never ever really completed a charge cycle. Substituting the rechargeable battery with a "real" battery allowed it or it's pic to finish the charging cycle and then everything was fine.
Perhaps just removing the batteries in yours provided a similar solution?

Eddie

Post by Stockden » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am

I too have had this problem but, sadly, nothing I tried (including a "factory reset" of the handset) produced anything more than temporary fix. In the end I bought a second-hand handset from eBay and (fingers crossed) that's been fine so far.

Meanwhile the faulty handset now sits on a bookshelf grinning at me with "not so clever now, are you?" look on its face.

Post by Dandfellow » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:40 pm

I find that the cordless batteries simply just don't have enough juice. Our baby monitor lasts longer than a phone off the cradle. Its very annoying. :(

Post by johntheboffin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:32 pm

I have Panasonic cordless phones throughout the house. The contacts at the bottom of the phone are in the form of metal blades 1 cm apart. These rest on similar blades in the holder that are mounted at 90 degrees with respect to those in the phone.

Consequently the contact area is quite small - just the blade thickness squared. I have encountered the odd occasion when the battery doesn't charge and a quick clean of the contact blades is needed; this invariably sorts the problem out.

The phones are several years old now and the cells seem in fine condition, with good charge retention, despite rarely being fully discharged.

John

Post by crackle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Refugee wrote:I recycled the cells from an old laptop battery that had the electronics glued in. It was scrapped because the electronics could not be reset. They work very well.

Ah, that would be Lithium Iron "intelligent" batteries as they were so described. So intelligent in fact that 2 laptop batteries which I had failed within 1 month of the warranty expiring. Now that's what I call clever, for the manufacturer benefit.
They were not cheap at about £120 each back in 2000.
Mike

Post by Refugee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 pm

The batteries I stripped ware from 286 laptops and the cells were marked NIMH.
They slightly predate the first LI iron types.
They are 1.2 volts per cell.

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment