It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

National HRO BBC Test Report

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

National HRO BBC Test Report

Post by peter scott » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: National HRO BBC Test Report

Post by turretslug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for posting that, an interesting report that obviously took some time and effort to compile- but it does beg the question- just what was the BBC doing spending time on this sort of thing in 1945 ?! Had it escaped their attention that rather a lot of them had been used rather extensively in the preceding years (aka "World War 2") ? There would have been a wealth of knowledge and practical operating experience on them, and the very fact that they were selected for import by the ship-load implies that someone significant had already been through this rigmarole years earlier. Similarly with the Murphy A40C domestic receiver highlighted in "Radio and Audio"- even if the BBC wanted a "representative" domestic receiver to guide the studio/distribution/transmission practice side of things, this set is decidedly "posh" and "fancy" and hardly representative of the mainstream- I would be a bit more sympathetic if they had also appraised a "utility" set. There's just a hint of self-indulgence here.

We've all come to love and respect Auntie for what she's done and what she stands for (well, perhaps most of us) but every now and then there's a suggestion of an ivory tower mindset.

Post by peter scott » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I do agree that it surprised me too that they should test a 10 year old communications receiver design but in fairness to them, they did assess quite a number of different receivers. These two were just ones that I have some experience of.

Peter

Post by Michael Watterson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Perhaps they wanted to get some S/H stuff to monitor WS transmissions or other Broadcasters.
New stuff good for BBC News Short Wave monitoring in UK or monitoring of WS abroad might have been in short supply?

Post by Michael Watterson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

That's the thing I was thinking of. Forgot the name.

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment