It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 am

Sky broadband DSL username and password

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

Sky broadband DSL username and password

Post by Brianc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Chris - please move this post if I have chosen the wrong section.
I have just bought a Netgear D6300 wireless router to replace my Sky issued router. In order for the new router to connect to the ISP it needs the DSL username and password. After several talks to Sky Broadband personnel, it seems that Sky cannot (or more probably, will not) provide this information as they, for security reasons, have no record of them. Evidently the router carriers this information in firmware and Sky cannot access it!
Does anyone know how to get this info from the router as without it I have wasted my money unless I change my ISP - I am certainly thinking about it!

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: Sky broadband DSL username and password

Post by Terrykc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Brianc wrote: After several talks to Sky Broadband personnel, it seems that Sky cannot (or more probably, will not) provide this information as they, for security reasons, have no record of them ...

I think your assumption may well be right ...!

Do you have any information about accessing the router's information?

It will be a very bad piece of kit if you can't!

Usually the router will have a private address - simply an address that doesn't exist in the public domain.

Try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.100 - these are the most common.

If prompted for a user name and or password you have found the right address!

The defaults are usually something simple, which is why you should always change them immediately you install a new router!

Brianc wrote:Chris - please move this post if I have chosen the wrong section ...

No Chris! This is important and should be in the public domain!

Typical default user name names/passwords are "admin"/"admin"; "router"/"router" and so on ...

My new VM router doesn't have a publicly accessible user name but the default password of "changeme" is rather obvious!

However, this may not help you - the MAC address, for example - a unique address for every interface embedded in a device in manufacture - may be tied to your account to prevent you using anything other than a router provided by your ISP on the account.

You can, however, use your new router in conjunction with the existing router to give you new/additional functionality.

The secret is not to connect the modem port (if you have one) to the existing router but to connect one of the other ports to an unused port on the existing router.

Assuming that both routers have four outputs, you will then end up with three available ports on each router in addition to any Wifi capability.

It might be useful to explain your reasons for buying the new router if you want to progress this discussion further ...

Post by Brianc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 pm

I can access the SDky router using admin/sky as the user/password but I cannot find the DSL user/password from the settings menus.
The reason for changing the router is that it failed a security test by answering a ping when it should not have done. The new one also has a better spec including dual band Wifi and potentially faster download speeds (eventually).
I must add that I'm a dummy when it comes to IT :ccg :ccg

Post by Alistair D » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Post by Brianc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks Al but the wifi side of things is OK. It is the ISP connection information that Sky will not give me. This is the relevant paragraph from the user manual you kindly gave the link to:

"Gather ISP Information
If you have DSL broadband service, you might need the following information to set up your
WiFi modem router and to check that your Internet configuration is correct. Your Internet
service provider (ISP) should have provided you with all of the information needed to connect
to the Internet. If you cannot locate this information, ask your ISP to provide it. When your
Internet connection is working, you no longer need to launch the ISP’s login program on your
computer to access the Internet. When you start an Internet application, your WiFi modem
router automatically logs you in.
• The ISP configuration information for your DSL account
• ISP login name and password
• Fixed or static IP address settings (special deployment by ISP; this situation is rare)"

It is the ISP info which I cannot get!

Post by Alistair D » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Right I understand now. You need to get into the SKY router to retrieve the info. Is there any make/model info on it?

Al

Post by Alistair D » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 pm

That router was made by a company called Sagem. An internet search turned up these results.

https://s6-eu3.startpage.com/do/search

Hope that helps.

Al

Post by hamid_1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello Brian.

Sky do not support routers other than the one they supply you with. I think it may be a breach of their terms and conditions to use "unauthorized equipment". Therefore they won't give you your ADSL username and password to enable you to set up another router.

There are ways round this, as always. One way is to extract the configuration file from your existing Sky-supplied router. This will contain your ADSL username and password. However, there's an easier way, since the Sky Broadband usernames and passwords are derived from a formula, it's possible to calculate them from some of the details on the sticker on the router that Sky supplied you.

I've calculated your ADSL username and password - I'll send them by PM for security reasons. Let me know if it works.

Personally I would never subscribe to Sky if I could possibly help it, but each to their own I suppose.

Post by Brianc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks very much Hamid. I hear where you are coming from about Sky. In my opinion, they has messed up sports coverage and hold the country to ransom with both cricket and footy (and made many undeserving people very, very rich at the same time. I won't mention the cost of gate tickets nowadays!!! I threatened to leave them over this and I might well do so - but I have to be careful about download speeds in my area at the moment but I have heard that changes are coming.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:27 pm

If you have access to Virgin Media in your area, their slowest speed these days appears to be 50Mbs - they've just upgraded our feed from 20Mbs (which was fine, anyway!)

They are in the process of upgrading all their network and the upgrade is free.

ppppenguin wrote:... Since the phone wire is the same bit of damp string the downlaod speed will be the same for all ISPs ...

But VM don't use the damp string method! The data is transmitted in exactly the same way as Digital TV and, unlike the telephone line, the performance of the coax network is tightly controlled from one end to the other.

This means that everybody gets the same standard of performance, whether they live right next to the fibre receiver or the far end of the trunk ...

Post by marc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Terrykc wrote:If you have access to Virgin Media in your area, their slowest speed these days appears to be 50Mbs - they've just upgraded our feed from 20Mbs (which was fine, anyway!)

They are in the process of upgrading all their network and the upgrade is free.

ppppenguin wrote:... Since the phone wire is the same bit of damp string the downlaod speed will be the same for all ISPs ...

But VM don't use the damp string method! The data is transmitted in exactly the same way as Digital TV and, unlike the telephone line, the performance of the coax network is tightly controlled from one end to the other.

This means that everybody gets the same standard of performance, whether they live right next to the fibre receiver or the far end of the trunk ...

This means that everybody gets the same standard of performance
Which here in Wakefield equates to utter rubbish !

We had been with VM for years and had nothing but slow or non existent 20Mb broad band, we finally gave in and had Sky 10Mb damp wire which is superb, fast and reliable and is now 20Mbs.
Other VM users round here soon change once their contracts expire.

Marc.

Post by Terrykc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Well, in all the years I spent working for various cable companies that finally became ntl: (they made me redundant when it became VM!) covering, in later years, vast areas of the country upgrading various parts of the network, I never had the pleasure(?) of working in Wakefield, so I couldn't really comment!

I assume this is a cabled area (VM also supply a service over 'phone wires in non cabled areas) in which case I doubt they have any TV customers left, either ... (The Internet and TV data distribution systems are identical.)

I'm surprised that the problems haven't attracted attention from on high ...

Post by turretslug » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Would it be prudent to remove Brian's router label photo from this public domain thread, bearing in mind hamid_1's comments? :)

Post by Brianc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Probably a very good idea. Can you remove it please, Chris?

Post by marc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 pm

Terrykc wrote:Well, in all the years I spent working for various cable companies that finally became ntl: (they made me redundant when it became VM!) covering, in later years, vast areas of the country upgrading various parts of the network, I never had the pleasure(?) of working in Wakefield, so I couldn't really comment!

I assume this is a cabled area (VM also supply a service over 'phone wires in non cabled areas) in which case I doubt they have any TV customers left, either ... (The Internet and TV data distribution systems are identical.)

I'm surprised that the problems haven't attracted attention from on high ...

Hi Terry,

Yes the service around here is absolutely terrible, TV break up and slow/non existent broadband is common especially at night...for what ever reason I have no idea :aaq

The cable service was originally installed by Yorkshire cable in the early to mid 90's and taken over by NTL shortly after which of course was absorbed by VM.
According to one or two of the more senior engineers that have been here, they seem to think that the infrastructure (originally analogue Yorkshire cable) just simply is not up to the job, over on the North side of the city the cable system was fitted in the late 90's with Digital in mind and doesn't suffer the problems that we have here.
I guess basically that the whole system needs replacing on this side but VM probably don't fancy footing the bill.
You do see a lot of VM vans regularly parked next to roadside distribution boxes in this part of town but not so much elsewhere......I shall try not to be too cynical about that point :qq1

Marc.

Post by Brianc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Chris, please can you remove the picture of the label please. As has been proved, my Sky DLS details can be determined from the info shown.

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment