It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Rediffusion RT106

Phones- Digital, Analogue, PABX, Receivers, transmitters & military equipment.

Rediffusion RT106

Post by Niall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I have acquired what appears to be the back panel incorporating the PA stage from a Reddiffusion Radio Systems Type RT106E

I would like to use it as the basis of an HF linear, if I can get any information about it.

Looks like about 100W HF set, possibly a marine SSB?
Could be badge engineered, in which case does anyone know who the original manufacturer was?

I'm assuming some connection with the TV Rediffusion company.

Re: Rediffusion RT106

Post by GlowingAnode » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Any chance of a photo please Niall?

Cheers.

Post by Niall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Hope these are OK.

RT106b.jpg
RT106a.jpg

The white wires are coax. Looks like the short ones are where the RX / TX changeover relay should go. The previous owner said that the two long ones are low level and high level inputs but I'm not sure this is right. I suspect one is an input and the other is some sort of swr sensing circuit.
Red and Black are obviously power into the unit, not sure what the thin black and the orange are. Possibly power to the rest of the transceiver?

Post by Niall » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 pm

What appears to be the input end has 2 x 2N6367, output end has 4 x BLW60R, in case this helps identification.

Post by Niall » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Cracked it, in the most roundabout fashion possible.

Browsing ebay for interesting old kit, did a search for Redifon, which turned up an auction for a set of playing cards, the picture shows the back of them; "Rediffusion Redifon Rediweld Reditune".
I hadn't realised there was a connection. Given such a group, if Rediffusion wanted to market a transceiver, who would be the logical supplier? Tried a search for Redifon RT106 and up came the service manual for "Redifon Safari RT106"!

Reading it it is clear this is the unit my PA stage came from.

Post by Niall » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:22 pm

With the aid of the transceiver manual, connected the input to my sig. gen. and output to an rf wattmeter and big 50 ohm load.
Powered up, connected the tx line to +V and get good power out as I wind up the input level.

I have ordered the parts to make a multiband low pass filter.
One thing I noticed is the output falls off rapidly above about 18 Mhz. A bit of research suggests this is due to the design of the coupling transformers.

I intend to fit bypass relays and an input attenuator. It appears that ordinary relays can be used for this. Any pitfalls I am likely to encounter?

rt106bw.png

Return to Telephones, Telegraphy, Amateur comms & Military equipment