It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Right-clicking problem in Windows 8.1

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Right-clicking problem in Windows 8.1

Post by Amrad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:23 am

When right-clicking on the Windows button in the bottom left corner of the screen, a context menu should appear but doesn't. Does anyone know how to fix it? I've tried various suggestions found on the 'net but none worked. Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.

Re: Right-clicking problem in Windows 8.1

Post by sideband » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 am

Amrad wrote:Does anyone know how to fix it?

I could say 'change to Windows 7' but that wouldn't be very helpful! :aaj

My new PC came with W8 and I immediately 'upgraded' it to W8.1 which was only marginally better than the totally incomprehensible W8. There are a lot of buried functions in 8.1 all hidden behind various 'tiles'. I'm eagerly awaiting W10 which will hopefully go back to some sort of sanity like XP or W7.

If someone doesn't come up with an answer beforehand, I'll check to see what mine does tonight. I'm reasonably sure this function works on mine but then things change and I have no idea why and then it seems impossible to get them back again.....

Post by Amrad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Hello Sideband,

Thanks for your reply. No, Windows 7 won't do! I have to say that I agree with all that you've said about Win 8, as that's exactly what I've been finding. It seems that users of Win 8 and 8.1 will get a free upgrade to Win 10, when it comes out later this year.

Jeffrey,

I had considered installing Classic Shell, or similar, which apparently gives a more XP-like UI, I might still do that when I've had more time to play with Win 8.1, which I got for my birthday, just after Christmas - in an Acer Aspire E17 laptop! ;)

Anyway, I have solved the problem by setting Win 8.1 back to its factory settings!

Regards,

Dave.

Post by Amrad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for the recommendation for Classic Shell. I'll play around with Win 8.1 as it is for a while, to familiarise myself with it, then give Classic Shell a try.

I meant to say it was my 70th birthday! ;)

Regards,

Dave.

Return to Technology & People