It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:58 am

Computer = Stress

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Computer = Stress

Post by Spot-Wobble » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Today the (freely obtained) Brother Laser printer decided that the white background to documents was really to bright and turned thought everything should have a grey background instead.
Given that it has been creaking ever since I saved it from re-cycling a few years ago it seemed it was time for it to go.
It had replaced an equally old HP2100 which had started having hissy fits and became too temperamental to continue using.
Still having the HP2100 which is a network printer unlike the Brother I thought I would take a look at it and see if I could get it going again.
After messing around with an additional Switch and cables I got it connected up, and now the problems started.

The 2100 has no display so that the Jetdirect interface settings cannot be changed on the printer itself.
The IP address needed changing to comply with the current DHCP server address range.
Previously I had just changed the IP address of the computer to that of the printer and connected to the inbuilt printer web server via the PC browser. A couple of minute job then just to change the static IP address.

Today though it was anything but easy.
I cannot access the printer's built in web server as it is only for the likes of Windows.
I tried Windows XP virtual machine but it wouldn't access the printer even though the IP addresses were in the same subnet. I couldn't ping it.
So I gave up with that idea. Played around with Telnet a bit but that option didn't work either in spite of HP giving it as an option.

The HP website wanted my whole life history before I could register on the website (which I was required to do if I wanted to download it's printer configuration application) - which probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Next try was my Wife's Win7 PC which didn't like it either as it needed Java to work, and we all know we don't really want java these days because of the security risk. Anyway I installed Java and still the stress was rising.
Java's built in security wouldn't let the HP webserver work as it had no valid security certificate. I tried adding the IP address of the printer to the exception list but it insited that I added HTTP:// before the address otherwise It wouldn't take it.
In spite of this it still refused to work.
In desperation I powered up a basic Windows XP PC - having to steal mouse, keyboard and monitor cable from my Wife's PC to use it.
Dragged our a tiny old TFT monitor from the cupboard and powered it up.
I fully expected this setup to work, but Oh no, the Java application was reported as being out of date and did I wish to install the latest version well NO!!!

To cut a long story short I changed the date on the PC to 2010 and tried again, still the same issue with out of date Java but then the built in webserver of the printer sprang into life.
I was able to easily change the IP address of the printer and get it installed.
What should have been a two minute job took more like two hours.
It almost came to computers and printer being thrown out the window!

Andy

Re: Computer = Stress

Post by Refugee » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:26 pm

What disk operating system does the first computer you tried it on have installed?

Post by Spot-Wobble » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

MAC OSX - Mavericks

No use for configuration purposes unless one wishes to get involved in Unix command line stuff!

Andy

Post by Refugee » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 am

Yes that rings a bell.
I am using the "other" non windows operating system :bba

Post by Spot-Wobble » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

That must be Linux.
I have that installed on another PC but don't currently use it.

It bugs me that I have some perfectly good hardware but find it now difficult or impossible to use because it has been deemed past it by the software suppliers!

Anyone want an Apple Mac with power PC processor?
Both Apple and Adobe have rendered it virtually useless as it is.
I think I could install Linux on it though.

Andy

Post by Cathovisor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Spot-Wobble wrote:Anyone want an Apple Mac with power PC processor?
Both Apple and Adobe have rendered it virtually useless as it is.
I think I could install Linux on it though.

Upstairs I have a machine running Windows 2000, with Opera 12 as its browser and ClamAV as its antivirus. Runs a treat, even with a fifteen year old OS. It may be heading for a second life running a re-installed W2K (SP4) but stripped down and with no Internet capability, so well does it run.

As for installing Linux on your PowerPC machine? Not a problem - the Ubuntu Wiki site shows that it is as ever, well-supported.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Post by Spot-Wobble » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Catho,

I think that is what I will do as it is a perfectly good machine with a nice big TFT Monitor.
It can become the workshop computer until Apple render my iMac redundant!

Andy

Post by Spot-Wobble » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Actually it wasn't just Apple that lost interest (financial that is!) - no more updates, later versions of Safari no longer worked . Mozilla Firefox stopped working, Adobe Flash no longer installed (no longer provided for that platform) and so on.
As you say, I could still be running an old version of Windows (2K or XP) and still have a functioning PC (even though I don't like Windows).

Andy

Post by Cathovisor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Spot-Wobble wrote:Actually it wasn't just Apple that lost interest (financial that is!) - no more updates, later versions of Safari no longer worked . Mozilla Firefox stopped working, Adobe Flash no longer installed (no longer provided for that platform) and so on.
As you say, I could still be running an old version of Windows (2K or XP) and still have a functioning PC (even though I don't like Windows).
I should point out that Opera 12 is quite old, and I no longer update Flash (bit of a resource hog anyway) as it doesn't support W2K any more but ClamAV works, and works well. Put it this way: I can happily display this site on it no problem, and that's good enough for me :)

Post by nuvistor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 pm

You can always try the ARP and PING commands to set a temporary IP address while you set the device up. Either connect to the computer via a crossover cable or through a hub, a switch or router will not work.
I used this method on many occasions to set up various items with no known IP address on the device.
A web search will find the command syntax. If the device requires a particular version of Java that does not help but Telnet will usually work especially on older devices.
Frank

Return to Technology & People