It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 pm

PC refuses to go to bed.

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

PC refuses to go to bed.

Post by Dr Wobble » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:10 pm

My PC runs XP and has decided it no longer wants to go to sleep after it went to OS Update school .When asked by my keyboard, he says nothing and won't rest. There is a handy button with a crescent moon on my keyboard to sooth it to sleep. I've tried reading it a one of Molly's bedtime books, but it remains wide awake, I'm worried it will start having tantrums. What can I do?

I've had a look at its control panel; am I feeding it too much, is it being bullied by the keyboard? I've even sent it to a shrink who asked it lots of in depth questions of an advanced nature.

Hope you can help - worried Dad.

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Re: PC refuses to go to bed.

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 pm

There are soooo many things that can prevent yer PC from shutting down.

Firstly I'd go have a look in the Screen settings then Power settings and make sure that "what to do when I press"... hasn't got changed. even change it then change it back to store the setting again.

After that easy stuff it gets much harder, there may be some windows background process stopping it

Have a look in the Task Manager to see what programs and processes are currently running, on the whole you can close programs from there without fear, but processes need a little more investigation, or balls, to close them erm... willy nilly.. (sorry :ccb ).

Post by boyblue » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Dr. W, could XP have forgotten the keyboard shortcut for sleep?. Try the sleep command via the start key.

Peter

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Why would any sane person use a Start key to STOP anything?

Sorry! Enjoying a refreshing pint of Hoegaarden in Montreux and couldn't resist! :bba

Post by ianj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Mine used to do this when I touched the "go to sleep mode" button ; I pressed and held the on/off button in for 4 or 5 seconds to force it to close down. It always restarted normally.

Post by raditechman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:07 pm

You could try pressing the Ctrl Alt Del keys at the same, then from the screen that should appear select "shut down".
If that works, then I wonder if the updates you have installed have changed the default keyboard to a different one. You say that your keyboard has a special "moon" key which standard keyboards do not have, so that key may not be recognized by the system if it has applied a standard keyboard as default.
John

Post by Dr Wobble » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, still trying to figure it out,

A

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Andy, one other thing to try is downloading UPHClean from the Microsoft website:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... px?id=6676

I had a PC that started doing what yours did and this fixed it.

Return to Technology & People