It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Henry Moseley

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Henry Moseley

Post by turretslug » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 am

Talented British physicist Henry Moseley, killed at Gallipoli- as with Alan Blumlein, what might have been.... Programme on BBC World Service this evening at 1832 and 2332 and (insomniacs) 0432 (all GMT, add an hour for BST!);

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02y4hfy

Re: Henry Moseley

Post by Valvebloke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

As a physics undergraduate and then a doctoral student I remember that one of Moseley's original graphs of the relationship between atomic number and X-ray frequency was displayed on the main staircase of the building I worked in. The department was rightly very proud of it. One of the things which struck me about it was how large it was - somewhere between A1 and A0 as I recall !

I'm just about old enough to remember physical graph paper being used 'in anger' to interpret experimental results. Our stores kept quite a range. As well as the usual linear stuff (which we had printed from our own plates, to save money) you could also get various types of Log-Lin and Log-Log if you needed to determine power-law relations between data sets. If your data had very low error bars then bigger bits of paper could actually give you higher precision !

VB

Post by Cathovisor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Yep - I remember when such graph paper was held in the office when I started my life in television...

Post by Hartley118 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:03 pm

I do still have various pads of graph paper of various scales which I use from time to time.

There's little substitute for manual graph plotting - interacting directly with the data and seeing the plot evolve means that spurious results can be picked up more quickly.

Martin

Post by peter scott » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:47 pm

The lab where I worked used to keep a good selection of loglog, and loglin in various numbers of decades. Nice looking stuff.

Peter

Post by Ed Dinning » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 pm

It was expensive stuff, latterly I used to cheat by using the full sized Chartwell? samples book and a photocopier.

Ed

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:48 am

These days, of course, you can print your own without the random distortions that your photocopier might have introduced!

For example:

http://www.physics.utah.edu/~gernot/ele ... _paper.htm

Return to Technology & People