It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am

POLL: Lightbulbs

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

What lightbulbs do you use for general house lighting?

Incandescents 'Rough Service'
26%
Halogen
4%
CFL
22%
LED
44%
Something else, Candles? :aaj
4%

Total votes : 27

Re: POLL: Lightbulbs

Post by Doz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:09 pm

LED downlighters almost everywhere now.

When I bought this house 2 years ago, downlighters were fitted with PAR type incandescents. As I had to re-plaster most of the ceilings (and replace what was left of the ceiling in the lounge and kitchen) I chose to go the LED route. I've had a couple fail, but I've always managed to repair them!

The real shocker was the bathroom, which had been renovated to a good standard before I bought the house, halogen downlighters fitted in water-proof type enclosures. I was in the shower one evening, and wondered where all the heat was going ... I flicked some water up at one .... fsssst! ... wow! A quick look in the loft showed these were up against fibre glass insulation too ! A fire waiting to happen really. The plasterboard had obviously suffered due to the heat. I disassembled the fittings and fitted LEDs. Much, much cooler running. After a good soak in the bath, the things are still cool to the touch.

I chose the warm white LED types for the everywhere except the kitchen, which have the whiter types fitted (and under-cupboard type lights, which were cheap LED strips from eBay, cut to length and driven from a redundant switched-mode from something). There is a bit of RFI on MW & LW, very little elsewhere, and much less than comes from the switched-mode in the washing machine. I operate HF from here, and there's no noise perceivable when they're on on the HF bands. Pity I can't say the same for next door's plasma telly. :ccb

In the workshop I've got an ordinary florescent, and two of those magnifier lamps (one a skip find, needed a new lamp, also found in a skip!) both fitted with circular florescent tubes. The garage and loft both have cast-off florescent fittings.

The cupboard under the stairs it lit with the remains of the LED strips I got for the kitchen, powered by a small SLA, and a microswitch on the door brings them on when you're getting the hoover out, or finding a pair of shoes! SWMBO loves that!) There's a similar arrangement of the walk-in wardrobe I built in the master bedroom, only the mircoswitch drives a relay, and switches on some mains LED downlighters.
(She loves that too!) The spare room and office I'm yet to decorate (and evict the pink painted anaglypta) still retain the PAR incandescent downlighters for now. That's a job for the new year!

There's a couple of touch-sensitive (and 40m CW sensitive!!!) bedside lamps with halogen capsules in.

Post by Jamie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:22 am

Doesn't sound like our house is particularly energy efficient lol? I wonder where the national grid is going... All the rooms have pendants with incandescents except the toilet which has a CFL.

Front room is fitted with a 3 lamp ceiling light all incandescents on a dimmer (never used) and is mainly lit by a table lamp - 60w incandescent.

Dining room is lit with a 6 lamp fitting, all incandescents Hardly ever used. Hall is an incandescent, landing is an incandescent in a glass fitting.
Bathroom is lit by a wall mounted incandescent strip light and also (less frequently) by a U shaped Fluroscent fitting.

All 3 bedrooms have pendants with either 60 or 100W incandescents.

The kitchen has a 10 year old twin fluorescent strip, the pantry has two 1960s Crompton Fluroscent strips.
The garage had about 15 strip lights all various different companies and ages.

Outside there's three wall lights with two incandescents and one CFL.
Back garden has a 60ft run of festoon lights all 20W coloured incandescents.

And my workshop had/will have two 60s strip lights saved from a skip, one of which was bent into a 90 degree angle when I got it, a visit from the hammer and mr vice and it was soon reasonably straight! Now that is what you call recycling!
Last edited by Jamie on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by marc » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:28 am

Jamie wrote: All the rooms have pendants with incandescents except the toilet which has a CFL.

Hi Jamie,

Of all the rooms where I would have thought instant light would be a distinct advantage and you have CFL ! :aaj

Marc.

Post by Jamie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:30 am

marc wrote:
Jamie wrote: All the rooms have pendants with incandescents except the toilet which has a CFL.

Hi Jamie,

Of all the rooms where I would have thought instant light would be a distinct advantage and you have CFL ! :aaj

Marc.

It's mainly because we use the toilet light to light the landing and stairs (rather than using the landing light and hall light!) therefore it stays on quite frequently - and it's also visited a lot as you can imagine! And we got bored of changing light bulbs at 3AM which was always when they'd go!

Post by marc » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:47 am

Jamie wrote:
And we got bored of changing light bulbs at 3AM which was always when they'd go!

Do you know ironically when we had a few CFL's around the house it always seemed to be those that failed at the most inopportune time rather than the incandescents. :aaq

A couple of years ago for the first time ever I replaced an incandescent in an external bulkhead at my parents house, that fitting had been working since it was fitted in 1972.
Also they have a six arm chandelier which they bought in 1956, it's fitted with "Bell" twisted candle bulbs and to this day only 1 out of the six has ever blown.

Now that leads me to a good question.... how long is the longest lasting domestic bulb you know of out there in VRAT land ?
For a bit of fun I'll start a new thread on that......viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12378

Marc.

Post by raditechman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:24 pm

I use daylight 58w florescent tubes 6500K and daylight 36w CFL's in living room with some 6K LED spotlights. I like white light and hate warm white. In the evening a few hours before bedtime I switch them off and use a 300w halogen uplighter on a dimmer which I gradually dim to simulate late evening light and get my brain ready for sleep.
In my bedroom I have very soft warm CFL for early morning in the winter while still dark, which after 15 minutes I switch over to a 36w 6500K daylight CFL lamp. In summer morning I just open the curtains for a similar effect.
In my kitchen I have a daylight 6500k florescent tube, but have just ordered an LED ceiling panel (daylight 6500K) as I have seen these in use lately and they look good and are getting cheaper now.

John

Post by cobaltblue » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I have started moving over from CFL to LED in the last few months.

I have now more or less used all my spare CFL's remember when they used to arrive in the post for free ?

My experience of domestic LED three years ago was expensive or poor (or in one case both).

However my most recent purchases were both inexpensive and so far great light so the technology is now matured and the prices will continue to fall.

When I rebuild the house next year I will almost certainly go all LED but currently I am just replacing failures.

Cheers

Mike T

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Post by Wolfie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:16 pm

marc wrote:A couple of years ago for the first time ever I replaced an incandescent in an external bulkhead at my parents house, that fitting had been working since it was fitted in 1972.
Also they have a six arm chandelier which they bought in 1956, it's fitted with "Bell" twisted candle bulbs and to this day only 1 out of the six has ever blown.
Marc.

I wonder if your parents live at the far end of a very long wire and so are at a lower voltage than 'normal' ( :aaj ) folk..

Post by marc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Wolfie wrote:
marc wrote:A couple of years ago for the first time ever I replaced an incandescent in an external bulkhead at my parents house, that fitting had been working since it was fitted in 1972.
Marc.

I wonder if your parents live at the far end of a very long wire and so are at a lower voltage than 'normal' ( :aaj ) folk..

Eh up Wolfie,

As it happens they are in a "main town location" 3 miles from Wakefield city centre so certainly not a far flung end of the line jobby for power.

When I think back to the 60's as a kid I remember my Dad having several attempts to replace the one duff bulb in the chandelier but every new bulb he tried looked wrong, too big, too small or different colour glass etc etc he ended up putting the duff bulb back so the whole fitting looked right whilst not lit and apart from one house move in 1972 (chandelier moved with us) the fitting is still in the same state, 5 on and 1 off ! :)

Marc.

Previous

Return to Technology & People