It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Audio problem after W10 upgrade

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Audio problem after W10 upgrade

Post by Terrykc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:30 pm

I've just upgraded my laptop from W7 to W10 and now have an audio problem.

The audio response now peaks at around 1 - 2 kHz and rolls off sharply at either side - the quality is very much 1920's moving magnet style and terrible in the 21st century!

I can find no equaliser settings anywhere and the problem seems to be independent of player or source.

I'm sure there must be a solution somewhere but I'm unlikely to find out without assistance!

HELP!

Re: Audio problem after W10 upgrade

Post by nuvistor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 pm

If you are using Windows Media Player this web page gives some details of its graphic equaliser.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... =windows-7

Frank

Post by raditechman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:07 pm

What make laptop?, what sound card?.
John

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:53 pm

raditechman wrote:What make laptop?, what sound card?.
John

Toshiba 64 bit, Realtek High Definition audio.

Playing back a podcast in Itunes, I can open the equaliser but none of the settings do anything! I can turn the pre-amp on and off, though.

Similarly, if I use Windows Media Player to replay an mp3 file, the equaliser controls do nothing, whether enabled or not, the sound is no different and moving sliders or selecting a preset option does nothing, either. The WMP volume control works, though, so it isn't a case that something else hidden away is playing the file instead!

Post by raditechman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Try right clicking on the speaker symbol on the bar at bottom right. (near date and time)
Then left click on the speaker symbol under devices.
In the panel that opens click on Enhancements tab. Tick the box Immediate mode, and tick the box Equaliser.
In the setting drop down panel select None.

See if that helps.

John

Post by nuvistor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Doing a web search there seems to be a problem with some Realtek drivers, quite a lot of posts on various websites. Suggest if you have not already done so to search for Realtek w10 driver issues, hopefully find a solution.
Frank

Post by Terrykc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 pm

raditechman wrote:Try right clicking on the speaker symbol on the bar at bottom right. (near date and time)
Then left click on the speaker symbol under devices.
In the panel that opens click on Enhancements tab. Tick the box Immediate mode, and tick the box Equaliser.
In the setting drop down panel select None.

See if that helps.

It didn't but ...

selecting "Troubleshoot sound problems" from the same menu suggested ticking the box 'Disable all sound effects ' and that worked!

By the way, it was left click on the speaker symbol and then right click on the speaker symbol on mine but I got there in the end!

Thanks for all your help.

Post by raditechman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Glad it is sorted, I have come across this on several Toshiba laptops with W10, and found making changes in that section fixed them.

John

Return to Technology & People