It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Blue screen / random rebooting on my PC

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Blue screen / random rebooting on my PC

Post by Colourstar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Once or twice over the course of an evening, my desktop will suddenly present me with a blue screen filled with codes. This then rapidly vanishess before I have a chance to read it, then the PC reboots itself.

I've managed to get this summary from the machine:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 00005003
BCP2: C0802000
BCP3: 00006FE1
BCP4: 10B716C2
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062316-13790-01.dmp
C:\Users\760\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-27939-0.sysdata.xml

I wonder if the above suggests anything to anyone with more computer knowledge than me?! :aal

Steve

Re: Blue screen / random rebooting on my PC

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm no computer expert unfortunately, but I wondered if you might have tried examining the files referred to in the text?

C:\Windows\Minidump\062316-13790-01.dmp

C:\Users\760\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-27939-0.sysdata.xml

Since the message refers to these files in the sense that they "help to describe the problem" one would assume they are text files of some sort.

Beyond that, I'm no wiser than you, other than to ask if you've added any new software or drivers recently? Or has your PC picked up any recent Windows updates? On the latter score, my 'netbook' has been collecting updates every single day for over a week now, and in some instances, two or three sessions in one day (Windows 7 Starter) - A system restore might fix the problem, but also, might likewise mean the same problem will occur again as Windows works its way through the updates once more.

In the case of my netbook, I did a restore, which solved the initial problem, but then the updates began again, only this time I left it switched on overnight to get on with it.. After three nights of that, Windows is running sweet once more.

Marion

Post by Colourstar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi Marion and thanks for the suggestions. I tried to look at the 'Windows/minidump' but apparently I don't have permission to view! I then looked at 'Users/760' but there's no 'AppData' subheading...

I think the PC may have some 'issues' as for some time it was unusable as when powered up the cooling fan would roar away, the motherboard emitted regular bleeps and the VDU remained 'asleep' due to no signal. Just before I was about to give up on the thing, it then cleared itself and began working again, apart from these semi-regular glitches when it reboots itself.

Steve

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Colourstar wrote:Hi Marion and thanks for the suggestions. I tried to look at the 'Windows/minidump' but apparently I don't have permission to view!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm just wondering then, are you logged in as "Administrator"? or "User"? I would assume only administrator level would have permission to read the file.

Twitchy 'Mo-Bo'? - Are there any puffed electrolytics on that board?

Marion

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:47 pm

Electrolytics, on the MoBo or in the PSU are classic causes of this sort of random reboot.

But the usual unplug/lift and reseat of every connection/terminal including the Memory strips and Processor are a good start.

Also the Processor overheating due to a blocked heatsink is another cause in older PCs

Post by nuvistor » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 pm

From what I can find on the net BCCode 1a is a memory management problem, which has you are probably aware could be hardware or software. You have had other problems with the PC, I would run memtest86 on the memory for a start, a dropped bit in memory could change a branch address to out of bounds memory. If you are able to test any other hardware I would also do that. Not sure if Windows machines use BIOS anymore but if so check those settings. After that scan the Hard disk for bad sectors etc.

You say the fans used to be loud, are they blocked and not cooling efficiently, another BSOD culprit and has Steve said duff electrolytic. Another point could be a flaky PSU, disconnect any peripheral internal/external not required to run a basic system.

If you cannot perform any of that you could run a Linux live disk from CD/DVD, it would not test the hard disk but if the live disk runs OK it leaves the HDD and software. Note running a live disk from CD will be a lot slower than the HDD. There used to be a version of Windows that could be run in "live mode", don't know if it still available.

If nothing shows I would then roll back with system restore to a point in time when things were OK, you could have had a duff driver update, or a duff install if the update took place when you were having the previous problems. note if you roll back confirm you have copy of data/applications and any other software you may lose.

About all I can think of.

Frank

Post by Rebel Rafter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi folks, RR here. I'm no computer expert neither but I once had a problem where my PC kept suddenly crashing and leaving me with the dreaded "blue screen of death" or BSOD, usually just after I'd spent ages typing a big long document which was then instantly trashed before I even had chance to even save it never mind print it. And the problem was traced to faulty memories so I would suggest possibly running memtest 86 and see what comes up. I've also had a similar thing caused by a faulty power pack as well. Not much point trying to fix PC power packs, nothing but very vague readings on the meter when trying to test the various components so out with it and fitted a new one, fine since then. RR.

Post by nuvistor » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Rebel Rafter wrote: usually just after I'd spent ages typing a big long document which was then instantly trashed before I even had chance to even save it never mind print it.

Hence the often used phrase "save early and save often" Luckily quite a few application do that automatically these days.

Frank

Post by Refugee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Bad caps would my first port of call. I have in the past repaired a motherboard with blown caps but only due to it being a custom unit. Otherwise just scrap it and the power unit and make a fresh start.
I had caps go in a motherboard that was 2 1/2 years old. It was replaced under a 3 year back to base guarantee. It failed to broken sound card noises starting even before the bios screen appeared.

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:21 pm

nuvistor wrote: There used to be a version of Windows that could be run in "live mode", don't know if it still available.

Would you be thinking of BartPE??

One thing I'd be inclined to do is to remove the memory modules and clean along the edge connectors of the modules first with a plastic eraser (the Staedtler type) and then wipe with a bit of IPA afterwards before replacing. Fans going mad from a cold start are pretty normal; it's before the thermal management kicks in.

It is possible to stop the PC from rebooting automatically after a crash like this so you can get more detail off screen but if you don't have admin rights, the setting is unavailable (I think).

Post by Colourstar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the very detailed replies. I think there's plenty of cooling as this is a large desktop unit with not a lot in it. The fans on both the PSU unit and the one on the motherboard are clean and free from fluff. I've currently got the sides off it so there's plenty of breeze getting through. It will be interesting to see if it does the BSOD tonight.

What's 'memtest86' and how do I run it?

Steve

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Download from here: http://www.memtest86.com/

As described, it's the industry-standard test.

Follow instructions, test PC, job done :aad

Post by nuvistor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 pm

Cathovisor wrote:
nuvistor wrote: There used to be a version of Windows that could be run in "live mode", don't know if it still available.

Would you be thinking of BartPE??

I think it was WindowsPE but looks like BartPE will do the job, its very rare I see a Windows PC these days, used to look after many but thats was quite a while ago.

Memtest86. run the standalone version not one that runs under Windows, thats the only way of testing all memory.
Frank

Post by Cathovisor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:29 pm

The version of Memtest86 that is a free download from the website linked to above will, depending upon the vintage of the machine, load either a graphical interface or the interface you see in the photos below. As you can see, my laptop passed after an hour testing its 16Gb of RAM.
memtest86-0.jpg
memtest86-1.jpg

Post by Colourstar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm happy to say that since wiping the contacts of the clip-in memory cards, all seems to be working as it should.

Steve :aad

Return to Technology & People