It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Lithium polymer battery

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Lithium polymer battery

Post by ken » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello All,
I've been given, what I am told is an mp3 player but sounds like a recorder, by a friend to repair. You might think this is not worth while but she uses this to help her learn French as her Grandson is French. It has an ability to record and immediately repeat a word which anything else she has looked at can't do. The main problem is the battery. It looks to be a small 3.7V Li polymer battery. It's a Lishan SP042050. I've attached a photo to give an idea of the size. I can find references to it on the net but I can't find anybody selling one nor can I find a non-original copy. I am hoping that some of you clever people out there can suggest a good supplier of such. Even if they are not on the net I'm happy to phone or write. I will measure it accurately if that helps.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
IMG_2274.JPG
Player and battery plus ruler to give an idea of size

Re: Lithium polymer battery

Post by Norman Raeburn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Ken, There are various lithium polymer batteries on ebay, some giving dimensions. There was one company saying they will make a battery to your requirements. As you will have surmised they are all in China etc. Norman

Post by ken » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Norman,
Thanks for the reply. I'll try a search including the dimensions and see if that comes up with anything. I think getting one made might be expensive but I'll look for that as well. I have powered it up with a 2200mAh 5V phone back up battery. This is cased and about twice the size of the player itself. It's seems quite a useful little bit of kit having an MP3 player, FM radio and recorder. I have a number of these batteries which I bought for £1 each. I think they might have been lying about for some time. I know Li batteries are not know for their great shelf life but they seem fine. I think this might be a partial solution if I can't get a battery. They came with short charging/connecting leads so when the external battery is connected to the player it's still quite neat.

Regards,

Ken.

Post by Katie Bush » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm

That looks suspiciously like the main battery for my camera drone! - Gives about 10 ~ 15 minutes of flight time per charge.. "Ten a penny" on eBay.. :aad

Post by ken » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Hello Katie,
That's hopeful. Can you give me a part or a battery number I can search on as I've had no luck searching using the number that's printed on the one I have here.

Regards,

Ken.

Post by rob t » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Post by ken » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello Rob,
Both of the above look like possibilities. I'm looking at them with a phone and can't seem to get details of the dimensions. The fit is quite tight so there's not much flexibility in that respect. I've bought kits and other stuff for Banggood before and other than the fact it can take some time to get here I've always found the stuff good as well as cheap. I'll have a look on my laptop to get a better idea of size.
Thanks again for the links,

Ken.

Post by ken » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Hello All,
After using Robs links and trying to find the dimensions of the batteries available I think the best I can find is here.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/radio-control/li-po-flight-packs/37v-1s-packs
The one I am considering is a bit down the page and labeled thus; 3.7V 250mAh 20C continuous discharge lipo battery, JST connector. The dimensions are 36 x 20 x 5.5 mm. The dimensions of the one fitted are 50x20x4mm. The 5.5mm will be tight. I don't know the capacity of the original battery but I thought a new 250mAh would be better than whats in it. If anyone finds one thats a better fit or capacity please send me a link.

Regards,

Ken.

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi Ken,

There are pages of them here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... .7v&_frs=1 All sorts of sizes I'm afraid, but I'm fairly sure you'd find something that would fit, even if not a perfect match.

Even if you had to use a smaller pack, it has to be better than a pack that's giving up the ghost.

Of course, the one thing I hadn't considered was the dimensions of the pack...... :ccb :ccg

Marion

Post by ken » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello Marion,
Thanks for the link. I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find something more suitable.

Regards,

Ken.

Post by ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Have hunted through the link but not many give dimensions. I am also beginning to wonder about the original battery. I changed it from 'flat'. It seemed to take a full charge and does not seem to have discharged. My only experience with Li poly batteries is with phone batteries. I've found when they're duff they don't tend to take a full charge and discharge pretty quickly. I don't have the charger but do have the original cable which is loose. I've replaced this and have a spare 5V 1000mA regulated charger which I know to be good. I've been told by the owner that when she changed it with her charger and cable it would not charge above 1 out of 3 on the battery condition indicator. With mine it charges to 3. I will pass on the new cable and charger in the hope this solves the problem. If not I'll be back to looking at batteries. Thanks for the help.
Ken.

Return to Technology & People