It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Gateshead Valve Factory

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Gateshead Valve Factory

Post by valvekits » Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Whilst browsing for obscure valve codes the other day I came across a pdf list of manufacturers codes on the Tubecollector.org site.
At the bottom of page 3, there is an obsolete manufacturers code ZA which indicates that there was a MOV factory in Gateshead prior to March 1957
I don't think I have seen that mentioned anywhere before does anyone know where it was located?

http://www.tubecollector.org/documents/k1001/
Appendix VIII Electronic valve manufacturers codes - PDF document

Eddie

Re: Gateshead Valve Factory

Post by Ed Dinning » Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Folks, there was also one at Pallion in Sunderland, is that listed. I believe it operated until the 60's.

Ed

Post by valvekits » Sat May 31, 2014 9:44 am

Looks like EN is the code for Thorn-AEI Sunderland, I didn't know about them either.
I have actually visited seventeen of the sites on the list but none of them were making valves by then. I didn't notice a code for Valvo in Hamburg which seemed a bit strange.

Eddie

Post by Red to black » Sat May 31, 2014 7:23 pm

The Thorn factory at Pallion was still there into the late 80's, or at least part of it was.
It was closing down just as I was entering the trade, the shop I worked for bought a load of CRTs and video heads from there at the time.

Sadly I don't know much else about it, I don't even know if it was still making anything at that point, or if it was just a storage depot or similar. :aab

Post by jayceebee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi R to B.

Thorn had three factory sites in Sunderland known as A, B and D factories.

"A" factory was located at lower Pallion and produced valves also mono CRT gun assemblies into the early 70's, the site is now a retail park and Metro station.

"B" and "D" factories were adjoining near the "Ford Estate" for CRT production and warehouseing, mono until 1973 and Colour CRT regunning until the late 80's. Latterly as there was also a video head remanufacturing department until the factory closure. The sites were demolished and redeveloped into smaller factory units.

I had the opportunity to visit and see CRT production in the late 60's and still remember how hot it was in there and that was in December. Wonder why there was never a "C" factory?

John.

Post by Red to black » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks for the info, jayceebee,
I cannot say I ever dealt with them personally, as I was too young. :bba

The shop I worked for at the time ended up with lots of the early 3V22, 23, 29 type heads brand new boxed, likewise 9K series tubes and others, now I don't know if that was an 'official' stock clearance sell-off as the factory was due to be demolished, or due to some 'insider trading', :qq1 this would have been around 1988-89 ish.

I believe Vista Electronics based at Wingate (Co. Durham) ended up with the re-gunning plant and re-heading jigs, Malc Scott reckoned they did, and this would make sense.

I dealt with Vista for many years, buying re-guns, heads and components.

Sadly Vista is no more either

Return to Technology & People