It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:07 am

Asimo humanoid robot

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Asimo humanoid robot

Post by sideband » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Saw this on the BBC website. Asimo manufactured by Honda shows running and kicking skills...

I'd love to see the circuit of this......!

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Re: Asimo humanoid robot

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 pm

It always irks me that he can't (er sorry IT) can't stand quite upright, the knee joints don't go far enough back to lock, which is a particularly human stance, it also gives Asimo an unusual running gait.
I believe it still falls over occasionally, just like a human then..

Still a remarkable feat of technology.

Post by sideband » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Yes it's the technology that I find amazing. Not the sort of thing you could knock up on bits of veroboard and stuff from the junk box!

Balance is the most difficult part and even though the stance may not be quite right, it's still an amazing piece of technology.

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm

sideband wrote:Balance is the most difficult part and even though the stance may not be quite right, it's still an amazing piece of technology.

I could imagine an inertial alignment platform to give it it's initial upright posture and positional "awareness" similar to that used in the NASA space missions, only much smaller! Along with positional sensors similar to those in smartphones and cameras, to detect and provide data for positional correction whilst in motion.

Though it would have to be rather more complex than that. :aa

Marion

Post by Refugee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 am

I think the odd standing position is due to them not using toe joints.
It uses extension of the knee joints as a replacement for the toe joints so that it walks flat footed.
This reduces the component count in the legs and feet.
It is like the last one they built but much faster.

Post by sideband » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 am

We are decades, if not longer, away from creating a more 'human' robot, if in fact there is ever a need to. I like to look at the general concept and technology behind even a 'simple' robot like Asimo. The fact that it can carry trays of drink without spilling, climb and descend stairs, recognise its name and respond to human requests and gestures is an amazing feat of technology.

More info here

Post by Panrock » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 am

I once read somewhere it usually takes about 30 years for a technology to progress from the 'pioneering' to the 'mainstream' phase. Think... aviation, radio, television, motor cars etc. By that reckoning it will be the 2040s before humanoid robots and self-driving cars become commonplace.

Steve

Post by sideband » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 am

Have a look at some of these clips. Pouring drink from a container into a plastic cup requires dexterity. Asimo also unscrews the lid.

Return to Technology & People