It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm

MOVA globe

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

MOVA globe

Post by newlite4 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:47 pm

I went into town at lunchtime and was instantly drawn into a gift shop by what appeared to be a self turning globe on an acrylic base. It consists of a static outer shell containing a close fitting moving inner graphics shell suspended in liquid that moves under solar power. They range in price from £250 for 4" to £400 for 6". The efficient solar powered motor that drives the globe torque-reacts against an armature that is attracted to the earths magnetic field. At that price, I was not particularly tempted, but it did make me stop and ask questions.
Neil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOW4aczcEko

Re: MOVA globe

Post by valvekits » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Years ago our glass-blower in the Physics dept used to take an old light bulb and replace the filament with something that looked like a black weather vane.
When re-sealed the light bulb was fitted to a base and placed in the window at which point the black vane would start to rotate. VB might be familiar with these - I don't remember what they were called radiation lamps or something, it was very novel at the time and I never saw anything like it since.

Eddie

Post by cobaltblue » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Here's Mine

This ones been wizzing around in the dinning room window since we moved here in 1989 and Fareham and Torquay before that so probably around 1977

I had one when I was at school but I broke that one in an attempt to see how it worked :aad

Also MOVA means something entirely different to me more to do with TRL :bba

Cheers

Mike T
Attachments
Lightmill.jpg

Post by Valvebloke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 pm

ppppenguin wrote:Crookes Radiometer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

I first saw them at Proops in Tottenham Court Road in the 1960s.

What's going on inside these is pretty complex (the Wiki article explains it correctly I believe). The basic principle seems to be that any explanation which is reasonably simple is also, sadly, wrong.

VB

Return to Technology & People