It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm

TP-Link router

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

TP-Link router

Post by Refugee » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 am

I have had this device for some years and it has been reliable.
It has started to reboot every now and again and when it does so the speed is poor and sites overseas almost lock out completely.
A factory reset does cure the problem and I have found that changing the password makes it last longer before the problem comes back again. The longer the new password the longer it appears to last before it happens again.
Has anyone else had this problem?
It might need the capacitors done but with the time thing and password length is telling me it does not need capacitors. It does not run hot like the ones ISPs supply. The latter lasts about 2 years.

Re: TP-Link router

Post by Niall » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:06 am

I have one of these, don't know if it's the same model. Mine is a TD8840T
Occasionally it will get into a state where it disconnects and keeps trying to reconnect but fails, logging into the setup page and rebooting makes it connect.
I tend to blame this on the BT line, a while ago it started doing it very often, this coincided with the intermittent appearance of noise on the landline. I reported it to BT who sent an engineer who traced it to a bad pair from the pole head. He swapped it to another pair and not only did the noise go away the router stayed connected for weeks. It has done it again occasionally since, though.

I think what is happening is that the router and the exchange equipment negotiate the highest speed possible, if the line gets noisier this speed becomes too fast for stability, rebooting or in your case factory reset makes it renegotiate a slightly slower speed or possibly a different protocol whereas the automatic reconnect just tries to reconnect at the previous speed.
The "modulation type" seems to vary between "Auto detected" and "ADSL_G.dmt".

Post by Refugee » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:45 am

Mine is a TD-8901G.
It is behaving in much the same way so perhaps I will need to get my Plusnet provider to get BT to send an engineer to climb the pole yet again.

Post by Refugee » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:02 pm

It is not yet bad enough for them to find the fault so for now I will keep an eye on the situation.
The operating system on the computer logs the resets of the router so it should be quite easy for me to watch.

Post by Niall » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:36 pm

The consensus in Amazon reviews seems to be that the TP link units are not good at handling noisy lines. Anything that is appears to be way more expensive, though. At the price I thought it worth the punt and I am reasonably happy with it.
It manages over 5MB downstream over a phone line which was originally quoted as suitable for 500k max.

The ancient SMC Barricade it replaced also needed a reboot on occasion and wouldn't allow my Kindle to work through it for some reason.

Post by Refugee » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm

It did need rebooting twice today but there was lightning about so that would explain the need.
The other problem we have is mobile phone signal strength. People keep having to go out into the street below the wires in order to get a signal.
Perhaps I aught to move the master socket upstairs closer to the place where the wire is strung across.

Post by Refugee » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 pm

It got worst this afternoon and I called Plusnet and they said it was a problem they and some other networks were having. It looks like it is fixed now.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9528

Return to Technology & People