It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is dead...

For discussions about technology and people in technology.

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is dead...

Post by Wolfie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:20 pm

I have one of those small Android driven PC Sticks with HDMI.

Having gone through several App installs and subsequent removals I noticed that it said "App faiiled to start" every time an app did start (behind the message), no problem I only had three new Apps loaded on there, and a reset said it would 'clear my personal data', and it did... What it didn't say was that it would also remove the OS itself, so now I have a Robot laid on it's back with a Red triangle on it's chest.

OK so i'll go to the company website and download a copy of the OS to reload, nope it's nowhere to be found, they don't appear to have a tech help section (I've emailed them meantime).

OK plan b, I'll Google it, there are loads of sites many very reputable and well trusted sites who offer "Android OS Downloads".
Most, in fact all, so far are simply a trick of the wording, they are not offering the OS but apps or software for items already running that OS.. even Android.com!
Many of the links on the pages which say 'download android OS here', either take me to adverts for god knows what, or take me to download something completely different like cleanbroom.exe, or wash my windows.apk, adverts for Alpine Holidays.. absolutely anything but....!

I started this morning thinking 'I'll spend half an hour or so just setting up'... here I am 4 hours later almost screaming at the PC.

So does anyone know how I find this software please, what magic word in these webpages is the one that will link to what is promised?
my life is really too short to spend another day, two,three or even a week... as I often seem to do these days.

Heeeeelp!

Re: Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is dead...

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:15 pm

A friend helped me out over the weekend although still no joy, I know my post probably sounded angry, I was absolutely livid that a reset that promised to 'reset my user data and accounts and return to factory default' actually removed everything.

I found an image of the OS specific for this stick, and all the software to update/upgrade it except.. the USB drivers for Win XP are 'not for this hardwar'e.. Grrr

So having got up at 9 in the morning and plugging away until bedtime I still had no result..

And since then it has been chucked in a corner to glower at every time I pass, it will give in one day..

Post by rob t » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Is this any help?
http://liliputing.com/2012/06/how-to-re ... mware.html
sorry if I am barking up the wrong tree.
Rob T

Post by Wolfie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Cheers Rob, I had found and loaded the Livesuite package from there but the USB drivers wouldn't load, however I searched and found some other drivers, but then Livesuite wouldn't work with those drivers..

That's when I gave up..

Last night having glowered at the Mini PC long enough I eventually removed those new drivers and lo.. the drivers from the Livesuite package then loaded and worked, and it started to update without further ado.

My Robot is now back on his feet.. just a day and several hours wasted..

Return to Technology & People