It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 am

Baofeng UV-5R

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Baofeng UV-5R

Post by Wolfie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:28 am

Well, my slight resurgence of interest in Ham Radio has been brewing for a little while now. it peaked last weekend when an old Radio friend emailed to point me in the direction of Baofeng Tranceivers on Ebay.

Much as it pained me to think of simply buying a radio without even making the antenna, when I looked up the spec of these little Chinese wonders, it would be rude not to buy one, I couldn't make an antenna for their price.

For £20.60, (Yep, you read that right) it is a dual band 2mtr / 70cm handheld 4W OP, full coverage of those Ham bands but also extends out into other (non Ham) bands too. They are also selling a UHF only handheld for less than a tenner!!
As with everything these days, it plugs into a PC to set up the 25 memories or it can be done from the keypad on the front.

I have no connection with the company or any companies selling these, nor selling them meself but i thought some of you guys with a Ham Licence might want to give them a good look over.

I'm ded impressed. Gra

Mods if this contravenes Forum protocols, sorry mods please just delete the thread.

Re: Baofeng UV-5R

Post by Niall » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 pm

I bought the earlier UV3R Mk.1 for similar reasons. Obviously not the best performance wise e.g. in the presence of a strong adjacent signal, but perfectly serviceable and unbeatable for the price. They are a bit controversial because they can be programmed to operate on frequencies outside the amateur bands and some people who know nothing about radio buy them thinking they are just a more powerful PMR446 handheld (which they can be used as, just not legally) and start using them on frequencies which are very frowned upon.

As well as PMR446, 2M and 70cm ham, they cover marine VHF. One quirk of the UV3 is that you can't listen to the Coastguard private channel 0 as there is a strong internal "birdie" on this frequency. I understand that this is not the case for the UV5 (but listening to channel 0 is illegal anyway!)

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Re: Baofeng UV-5R

Post by Wolfie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:30 pm

If I'm going to listen to anything like that I'll do it outside the terms of my licence.. erm (again).

Back in the eighties when illegal CB was rife, I was complaining to the local RRB officer about the amount of activity, his reply was that I shouldn't be listening in the first place, after I'd reminded him that his job was to find and stop illegal transmission (and given him a list of houses sporting huge "twigs" in plain view.. I said that I was listening as a civillian not on my licence..

Stupid as this was, he had no answer..

But back to this little UV5 thing, reception seems to be pretty good having received my friend calling from Barnsley whilst out walking the doggies near Selby N Yorks both on 2m and 70cms although he couldn't hear me.
I can hear (and open) repeaters all over the area on both bands.

Having a radio again has also sparked my interest in ATV again, dam, dam ,dam... more expense..
ttt:

Return to Radio & Audio