It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Ekco AD75 dial reproduction

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

Ekco AD75 dial reproduction

Post by kalee99 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I am on with my next Ekco round one. The scale was almost worn away as these sets seem to have no dial cover glass?
So I have made a new dial on Photoshop.
Can only put a low res' image on here but if anyone wants a high quialty jpeg then just PM me with your email address & I wlll send it you.

Paul.
Attachments
AD 75 dial copy.jpg

Re: Ekco AD75 dial reproduction

Post by Cathovisor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Did you mean to type 'Welch' ?

Post by kalee99 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Well spotted,

I also missed some graphics off (senior moment).

Paul.
Attachments
Untitled - Sign.jpg

Post by Katie Bush » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Ironically, in the dim and distant past, "Welch" would have been acceptable, if not even the preferred spelling (though probably before radio!).

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:23 pm

kalee99 wrote:Can only put a low res' image on here but if anyone wants a high quialty jpeg then just PM me with your email address & I wlll send it you.

A pity that it has been saved as a .jpg. If it had been kept as a .png and the slight pinkish sheen removed, I would expect the original file would have been quite small.

Unfortunately, once it has been saved as a .jpg, there is no going back.

As I've said here very many times, the p in jpg stands for picture and that is what the format is designed for - pretty pictures. It is also a lossy form of compression, so the original quality is lost.

However, the g in png stands for graphic, which is what this is, added to which it uses lossless compression, so you always preserve the quality.

Post by kalee99 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi,

The dial was created on a Mac using photoshop and the photoshop file is still here. Unfortunately it is to big to display on here. No "pinkish tinge", on the photoshop file its not a background colour I would use.
I just put it on here as a jpeg as its easy. Other formats are available :aad

Paul.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:39 pm

In which case, Paul, if neither the MAC or Photoshop* have used a lossy compression method to save the file at any time, a direct conversion to .png should result in quite a small file.

* My concern is that, being a program specifically aimed at pictures, it will use a file format more appropriate to pictures rather than graphics. However, my wife uses Photoshop Elements and says that files saved in its own proprietary formats are still a 'humongous' size, it sounds hopeful.

Give .png conversion a try - you might be pleasantly surprised!

Post by kalee99 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Terry,

Yes the photoshop on Mac gives lots of "save as", options including png.
So saving as a png it gives me the option of various file sizes (compression).
This is the biggest one I can put on here. The quality is ok but not as good as the actual photoshop file. In the past I used to have Aldus freehand but the licence on it expired and I am not willing to pay several hundred £ for a renewal + updates :bbd
So I just manage with photoshop.
It is still showing a pinkish tinge which is not on the photoshop file or the actual printout. I will have to look for a bootleg copy of Aldus.
Paul.
Attachments
Untitled-1 copy.png

Post by Terrykc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

That's looking good, Paul, and only 163KB!

Have you thought of putting your large file in Dropbox (or something similar? and linking to it, with a thumbnail to show what it is? That way you get the best of both worlds!

kalee99 wrote:It is still showing a pinkish tinge which is not on the photoshop file or the actual printout.

How very strange - I can't detect the tinge on this copy!

I even selected a large area and deleted it, expecting the boundary between the white and pink to give itself away but nothing!

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations