It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Cone Cutters

Valves, Transistors, IC's and Components. Bench test techniques, Test Gear - Valve Testers, Scopes, CRT Testers, Bridges, Sig Gens, Pattern Gens, Workshop tours etc

Cone Cutters

Post by Brianc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:51 pm

Just to make life simpler for me, I have decided to build The Practical Television Argus TV receiver from June 1952 (using a VCR97). The main reason for this is that some while ago, I bought a set of blank chassis for it off ebay, together with a couple of CRTs.
The chassis are in 16SWG alloy with welded corners etc and are really well made. There are 5 chassis: 2 x RXs, 1 x Timebase, 1 x CRT supply and a PSU and each one has at least one big hole to drill.
I got on to Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... p_0_ti,and found this little alloy box with 5 sizes of cone cutter, the largest being 1 3/8". They duly arrived and I set about the chassis. The cutters are excellent (alloy, not steel) and I can't recommend them enough - excellent. The alloy tends to cloy to the cutting edge at the smaller diameters but with paraffin as a lubricant, the larger diameters cut very well. I still needed to enlarge the maximum hole size for the B9G bases I was using - 1 1/2" required.
I'll start another thread when I have made a little more progress!

Re: Cone Cutters

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:14 pm

They're more a step drill than what I'd call a cone cutter, it has to be said... but good value for money nonetheless.

Post by Red to black » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:26 pm

That is a reasonable price, I have a cheapy set of three, the largest is up to 32mm, these are ideal for glanding plastic adaptable boxes and plastic trunking, they give a much cleaner hole than my hole cutters.

I have an expensive one up to 30mm made by Linear (IIRC) for thicker steel plate, which has lasted well, although I make sure it is always used with cutting compound, this only gets used for enlarging existing holes though as I have access to proper punches for new holes in thin steel sheet, or use hole saws for thicker steel.

the cheaper step drills have been used on the odd occasion for enlarging existing holes in thin (~3mm) plate and haven't fared too badly either for what they cost, but as I say they are a blessing to use on plastic.

Post by Brianc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:43 pm

You got me there Mike. They are, of course, stepped drills, you pedant :ccb

Return to In The Workshop