It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 am

Having trouble with Resizing Photos for the forum - Any tips

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Having trouble with Resizing Photos for the forum - Any tips

Post by Terrykc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm

ekcopyephilips wrote:...- this site is arkward too get pics onto!

<pantomime_mode_on>

Oh no it's not!

</pantomime_mode_off>

Seriously, though, what problems are you having? There is a 100kB size limit which does cause some problems but neither of your files is anything like that size.

Your 150 x 200 pixel image in a 300 x 400 pixel picture is a bit odd, though ...

I presume you've read Chris's guide, section 3 here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1354

... and this might help ... viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1954

If you are still having a problem, I'm sure someone can come up with a solution if you explain what it is ...
Last edited by CTV on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Following posts relocated from the " Another 697 Chassis" thread

Re: Another Pye 697 chassis

Post by ekcopyephilips » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Terry

The problem is, i have everything 'Apple' and its not that easy to play round with file sizes. Apparently i need to load an app called 'the gimp' to play with file sizes. I managed it this time by emailing the pics from my iphone to myself then adjusting them on a windows pooter at work

Mike

Post by Michael Watterson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:20 pm

The Gimp runs on Mac. Free, takes a little time to learn but repaid as most of the other free programs are too limited.
Also Gimp is the standard image editor on Linux.
The only other good Mac alternative is Photoshop. (expensive). The rest are toys.

Post by Refugee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Would it not be easier to double click on an image on the MAC and tell us the name of the default application that opens and displays it.
Then one of us can find the pull down that allows you to do a resize with it.
The native image viewer in Linux does almost everything I need for knocking photos into shape for posting here with only seven functions. It is called Gwenview.
The Gimp is the tool I use for correcting scans of photos taken with out of date film many years ago.

Post by Michael Watterson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Yes. Ref, but that doesn't help. A lot of these "toy" applications give only standard image sizes, abysmal algorithms to resample and no control over image compression. Many are little more advanced than Win95 MS Paint and produced by Script Kiddies with loads of eye candy. Serious Mac users always bought Photoshop. So there is a big jump between the features of simple to start using simple apps that barely do more than preview holiday snaps and The Gimp and Photoshop on Mac. Why do think a totally rubbish "cloud" photo editor like Instagram got so popular?

Decent image/photo editors CAN'T be instantly used. They need to be learnt. Then they are really productive. Like a Spread Sheet. If you never had used one you'd not grasp intuitively how to use one.

Re: Having trouble with Resizing Photos for the forum - Any

Post by CTV » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Split this age old chestnut from Mike's 697 thread as it was starting to take his restore off at a tangent.

Yes I use iMac and XP, both have Photoshop installed. For me there's no better graphics package, I use it to build all my artwork for the website/forum graphics and for photo uploads to the forum.

If you're having too much trouble or like some can't be bothered ( I fully appreciate people have better things to do) then just use photobucket/flickr etc and link URL's others do, we are pretty relaxed about it.

I know some people say that eventually the photo's become dead links but the gist of the story remains.

Post by valvekits » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 am

Mac OSX comes with the "Preview" application.
Open the picture with Preview, go into tools and select "adjust size" you don't need anything fancier than that.

Eddie

Post by Michael Watterson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am

Is there an option to adjust JPEG compression, or smooth noise preserving edges? If not it's worth installing the Gimp if you are editing more than one image a week.

Post by boyblue » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi all
The only other good Mac alternative

The only good Mac I know is a big mac with fries and onion rings!

Peter

Post by Panrock » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 pm

I use a 14 year-old edition of Paint Shop Pro, which offers adjustable jpeg compression, bilinear, bicubic resampling and pixel resizing or will choose the most appropriate option for you. It was free - came off a magazine CD I think (it's a long time ago!) - and I've never felt any need to upgrade.

Steve

Post by Michael Watterson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:21 pm

But isn't it Windows only?
I use a later paid version, which doesn't work on Win7. Corel bought PSP from JASC and released a new version for win7.

It's the best alternative to Photoshop and will run many photoshop plug-ins including some supplied with a Wacom tablet. The pressure sensitive Drawing Tablets work with Photoshop, PSP or The Gimp.

I have the Magazine cover version (5?) somewhere.

Post by Refugee » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm

What I have found with basic editors is that they do indeed cause pixels to be seen on the result.
How I get the amount of required reduction to a minimum is to use the crop function in the basic editor to remove any background that contains a lot of detail that you are not interested in before reducing the size.
This works and the simple editor loads quickly when required and requires less mouse clicks to get a result.
If there is anything else to do with a photo The Gimp is my friend.

Post by Brianc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm very lucky - my son works for Adobe so I have most of their graphics and audio software - some of it is much too complicated for my use. :ccf :ccf

Post by CTV » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Its horses for courses and depends what you've got installed, for example with photoshop couldn't be simpler for forum photos.

1.Connect camera
2.Click, open image
3.Click, choose resize image to 800x600 or 1024x768 or how ever large you want really
4.Click save for web,
5.Adjust slider for file size

That's it, done, absolutely no need to crop or any other manipulation

Edit:

There are 12,639 photos's attached to posts within the forum so the vast majority are managing

Post by Michael Watterson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

oldticktock wrote:
Edit:

There are 12,639 photos's attached to posts within the forum so the vast majority are managing

I bet over 3/4 are by 10% of members?

Post by CTV » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Possibly, not done the analysis but when you start you also find 10 members are responsible for 41,256 of the posts! That's more than half the entire forum. I won't say who's top of that list :qq1

Post by Michael Watterson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Unfortunately anyone can see the "top" ten (for a given definition of top) :)

Post by davegsm82 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm

My £0.02,

I have a resizer from here ---> https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

It works perfectly. I resize to 500 x 350 (custom) and it works every time.

Dave.

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations